Holy Moly!! New to me Violator V22

Started by JRD, April 07, 2019, 03:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I picked up a V22 at a decent price.  Wow it's impressive.  Smaller than a Squidder 146 with massive gears and drags.  3 stack carbon fiber with stainless internals, an ARB and Spring style anti reverse dog.  Pictured with respective squidder parts for comparison.

mrwilson99

V22 is one of my go-to reels for all my trips. These things are tanks and doesn't get enough love, but I have the entire series.
David

MarkT

They should've called it a Raptor if the model is the V22!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

Ingot one of those myself and it is a stout little reel, I'm disappointed in the anodizing, my silver one seems to build some pretty harsh corrosion in a short amount of time.  I leave my rods and reels on the boat throughout the salmon season, I rinse them off after each day of use and stow them below deck. At the end of the season the pro gear which had less time on deck being used than my abets, accurate, shimanos, had way more corrosion to deal with.  So watch out for that but it does run smooth and capable of serious work.

JRD

Quote from: David Hall on April 07, 2019, 03:54:42 AM
Ingot one of those myself and it is a stout little reel, I'm disappointed in the anodizing

Yes I've purchased a few older PGs with that issue and this one had the beginnings in a few places but I'm anal about washing and rinsing so I've never worried too much because of my cleaning regimen.  There are a few QC issues though, the jack had some rough edges from stamping that wore into the bridge plate, all polished now and the drag stack wasn't assembled correctly with the second and third CF washer stacked together.

David Hall

Quote from: JRD on April 07, 2019, 06:16:45 PM
Quote from: David Hall on April 07, 2019, 03:54:42 AM
Ingot one of those myself and it is a stout little reel, I'm disappointed in the anodizing

Yes I've purchased a few older PGs with that issue and this one had the beginnings in a few places but I'm anal about washing and rinsing so I've never worried too much because of my cleaning regimen.  There are a few QC issues though, the jack had some rough edges from stamping that wore into the bridge plate, all polished now and the drag stack wasn't assembled correctly with the second and third CF washer stacked together.
Good points to look for, I will crack mine open after this season and see what's going on in there.