Jerky drag after installing Carbontex

Started by BigTerp, May 13, 2019, 07:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

BigTerp

I'll give the suggestions a try of cleaning the washers/shaft, reapplying Cal's and then cranking down on my drag and engaging it by hand a few times to try and seat/polish the washers and hopefully get it running smooth. I don't necessarily mind going back to felt if that's what ends up working best for my setup, but would prefer the longevity of the carbon washers vs replacing felt washers every so often.

Alan - Unless the washer under the spool doesn't work well with the main washers being carbontex and not felt, I don't think that's the issue. They looked fine when I swapped the main drag washers out. Also one of my reels is just over a year old, the other is several years old. Both act the same with the carbontex washers. If the washer under the spool was the issue, I would think the older reel would show the signs of that versus the newer reel. You are talking about the #8 in the schematic linked below, correct? Should I have replaced that one with a carbontex as well? https://www.ereplacementparts.com/pflueger-6930-president-spinning-reel-parts-c-186372_186375_187193.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzunmBRDsARIsAGrt4mslrzvrfqEekK6u7uAXTsq_1HEiM2B-kuisMmv0Vhp2e00TLg7HlyQaAtfqEALw_wcB

alantani

yeah, the schematic helps.  sometimes you have really big drag washers under the spools of some of these newer spinners. 

any chance that the drag smooths out a little under a heavier load? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BigTerp

Quote from: alantani on May 14, 2019, 05:38:22 PM
any chance that the drag smooths out a little under a heavier load? 

Good question, and something I planned to test myself. If it does, I'm hoping the suggestions of working the drag under a heavy load will smooth it out once dialed back down to my normal drag setting. I honestly have not had the drag set over about 2# (set on a digital scale before each outing) probably ever. I use 6# Yo-Zuri Hybrid exclusively on these reels and always set my drag to 1/3 of the rated breaking strength of the line. Hence the 2# setting. I also loosen the drags a good bit after each outing for storage.

oc1

For two pounds of drag you could also use Delrin/acetal or Teflon/PTFE drag washers. 
-steve

alantani

if the weave of the carbon fiber is slightly uneven, then increased pressure can smooth it out.   i've seen lever drag reels that are a little jumpy under a light load, only to smooth out when the drag pressure is up to normal. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BigTerp

Tried a few things to smooth out my drag with carbon washers. Cleaned and re greased the washers with Cal's. Then I cranked down my drag to it's max and manually worked it many, many times. Things did smooth out a bit, but once dialed back in to my standard 2# setting it still wasn't as smooth as I'd like. Still some catching/jerkiness as the drag worked that I felt was to much and could potentially cause problems if (when!!) I hooked into a nice one. Took out the carbon, cleaned, re oiled and then reinserted my oiled felt and things were back to nice and smooth!! I have no doubt that carbontex is a nice upgrade for most reels. I actually have sets for my Abu Ambassadeur round reels that I use for catfishing. Just need to take the time to get them installed. But for my river smallmouth setup, felt seems to be the better way to go. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions, much appreciated!!!

philaroman

just get a spare spool for CF & 5-10# drag w/ 15-30# braid & keep fresh new felt for the 6# mono spool...  best of all worlds

boon

Quote from: philaroman on May 17, 2019, 10:13:56 PM
just get a spare spool for CF & 5-10# drag w/ 15-30# braid & keep fresh new felt for the 6# mono spool...  best of all worlds

Some quick maths says you might get 50 yards of 30# on it :/ Tiny reel, made for light weight applications only.

Lunker Larry

This may be an obvious thing but is your line cutting in on itself or not laying properly. Under a light drag the line pulling out from where it is binding could give you that feeling. Kinda like when you let line out on a reel where the line guide does not move and line up with it coming off the spool.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Donnyboat

Yes the line should be fead on tight, I would use a delrin greased under the pool, I have never had trouble with greased ( Cal`s ) carbon fibre washers not being smooth, maybe your metal drag washers are out of order, or a little rough, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat