First Gen 20

Started by thorhammer, May 14, 2019, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I have a pair of Gen 1 International 20's. As far as I can see they are just narrow 30's with same drags. I think these are a great trolling reel for mahi in NC, but I don't need 700yds of 20 mono to troll with. I normally spool a class heavy on the older Int's, which would be 50lb mono and right where I want to be for abrasion and handling, but I think that would top out around 350 yards. I'm thinking 300 yds 65lb power pro topped with 50 lb hi vis mono, and I always use 30 feet or so of fluoro to swivel. I think that will get around 500yds, which is plenty, I just want more than 350 because we will get wahoo in the mix frequently. These are used as short rigger or dink rods trolling; I use 30 wides and 50's further back. The 20's just feel good on International SU tuna sticks in this application. Does this capacity sound about right, and what kind of drag should i expect? I haven't opened them yet but I expect to see original  drag plates and not HT100 upgrade- maybe i will get lucky. Even in stock form i would expect 10 lbs strike- not sure if they were ramped down for a true 20 class application or not but Belleville switch should fix that. We don't see many fish over 50 lbs and are on Express boats so we can chase if a bigger YFT or something hits, so that's plenty in any case.

Sal is going to tell me he has a jigmaster that will do this :)    Indeed, I plan on trying it with my super wide tricked jiggy but fishing with most of my crews i want to keep it simple and a bit heavier.

thanks!