Live bait hook versus Siwash to replace a treble hook with?

Started by kmstorm64, May 14, 2019, 09:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Recently I was replacing some trebles with a single hooks.  I could not help but notice that some of my Live bait hooks and Siwash hooks look similar. The major differences were the live bait had a shorter shank and was made of a heavier wire.  Has anyone used a Live bait hook to replace a treble hook for waters with restrictions?  I would think they would fine otherwise.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

happyhooker

I'm assuming you mean replacing a treble on a lure of some type?  I have done that on quite a few lures.  I think you're on the right track.  Some lures don't like the replacement, though.

Frank

philaroman

bait hook eye (ID) may be too small for correct freedom of movement

oc1

Most live bait hooks I've seen (at least the Gamakatsu) have the bend of the eye perpendicular to the bend of the hook.  A Siwash hook has the bend of the eye parallel to the bend of the hook.  The single hook must naturally hang so the bend of the hook is parallel to the long axis of the lure.  If the hook is perpendicular to the long axis of the lure it will not swim correctly and may even spin.  You can correct hook orientation with a second split ring but it becomes ungainly.
-steve

smnaguwa

You should look at inline hooks from major manufacturers. I have made the switch on my stripers lures. It is much safer when unhooking the fish.

Swami805

I believe Owner makes hooks specifically for that, a good idea if it doesn't effect the lures action.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

One of the best ways not to affect the action of the lure is to weigh the hooks.  You need a pretty good scale to do this or the old fashion method of a rod with a string in the middle and two strings on either ends and compare the weight of the stock and the new hook.  I try to pick replacement hooks of the same weight as the stock hooks.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Siwash hooks are made for ease on installation without having to add a ring to the lures. Now if the lures have a split ring attaching the hooks then I go with a a live bait hook.

For line 80 lb and above no split rings or Siwash hooks for me. If a ring is needed a brazed solid ring and hooks with a solid eyelet.

kmstorm64

Quote from: oc1 on May 15, 2019, 01:31:01 AM
Most live bait hooks I've seen (at least the Gamakatsu) have the bend of the eye perpendicular to the bend of the hook.  A Siwash hook has the bend of the eye parallel to the bend of the hook.  The single hook must naturally hang so the bend of the hook is parallel to the long axis of the lure.  If the hook is perpendicular to the long axis of the lure it will not swim correctly and may even spin.  You can correct hook orientation with a second split ring but it becomes ungainly.
-steve

The ones I have both the shank and eye are straight not angled.

For fresh water swap out treble to siwash no issue pretty straight forward. But the Gamakatsu Siwash hooks look, dare I say, "spindly" for what they are being tasked with. Look more like over lengthened freshwater hooks that need a warning on them that says something like,  "not intended for salt water use"
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

El Guapo

Good morning,

Some nice posts regarding singles and trebles.. also have a look see at this video by one of our local anglers discussing trebles and alternatives. 

Regards,

Asif / El Guapo

boon

As has been said, they need to be inline singles or the hook will try to turn sideways and will affect the swimming action of the lure.

Like this:

Less important for lures that you don't "swim", such as jigs for mechanical/speed jigging, where you should probably be using an assist hook anyway.

philaroman

Quote from: kmstorm64 on May 15, 2019, 06:18:25 PM

For fresh water swap out treble to siwash no issue pretty straight forward. But the Gamakatsu Siwash hooks look, dare I say, "spindly" for what they are being tasked with. Look more like over lengthened freshwater hooks that need a warning on them that says something like,  "not intended for salt water use"

know exactly what you mean: never met a Gammy I didn't like, 'til I met their small-size Siwash (#8-#2), decades ago -- worst premium Japanese hook, by far, IMO...  I guess the goofy long shanks are supposed to replace the length of treble+ring...  newer/bigger sizes seem better & shaped more traditionally like Mustad, VMC, Owner, etc. -- maybe there's more than one Gamy Siwash style, or drastic difference between new/old stock

an interesting vintage option, if you ever come across it: Partridge (of Redditch) Commercial Salmon Hooks...  I think mine are 5/0 & pre-date the term "Siwash", but that's what they are -- just good 'ole English steel (tinned?) & excellent workmanship; plenty strong for salmon, but wire seems a bit thin for bigger pelagics
BTW, the photo above looks like a modern Partridge lure hook

oc1