USA Made KABAR Fighting Knives — Army, Navy, Marines — with Sheath

Started by foakes, May 14, 2019, 10:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

These are pretty good values.

I buy regularly from Discount Cutlery — it is a very solid company with a lot of products.

https://www.discountcutlery.net/Featured-SALE-Items_c_5986.html?referer=mailid:83&emailmkt=f_oakes@yahoo.com

Scroll down to the 32nd item —

There is also a 10% off coupon code — ARMED19 — good until the 19th of this month.

That gets the cost of each knife down to $71.99

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kmstorm64

There was a company that made a lot of knives for the Corp back during WWII, I believe they were out of Maryland. They made the Field Kitchen Cutlery Set. Bicknell or Bickell something like that.  That set sold for a couple of thousand if I recall on Ebay.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

foakes

After WWII, my Dad who enlisted in the Army Air Corp in 1940 — was discharged in '46.

Part of the things he brought back with him were a .45, a folding Machete, mess kit, compass, and a leather flight jacket.

These were part of his go-bag gear and also his "bail-out" kit, if he was downed over enemy territory.

KA-BAR made fighting knives under contract for the Corp.  But they could not produce as many as were needed — so Case and Camillus were brought into the picture to copy and manufacture the KA-BAR's for the Army, Navy, and Marines.

I recall him cleaning his .45 on the dining room table when I was less than 3 years old.  I can still see and smell the Newspapers, rags, brushes, gun oil, screwdrivers.  Mom did not want it in the house, and he agreed to sell it.  She didn't want it in the house, since he was at risk of being called back up during the Korean conflict — even though he was married, had 2 kids, and had already served for 6 years — but that did not happen.  But she wanted it out of the house if he was called back up.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

nelz

This post got me thinking that perhaps a knives section might fit in well on this site? While personally I'd rather it were all fishing related, there already is the guns section, so why not knives.

Oh, and nice Kabars!

Caranx

I still have mine, it's about thirty years old now. Think I got it for about $35.00 back then.

Benni3

Cool photo,,,,,, :D what kind of plane did he fly in,,,, 8)  knife section,,,,,,you got to have a knife when fishing,,,,, ;D

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: Benni3 on May 16, 2019, 04:23:18 PM
Cool photo,,,,,, :D what kind of plane did he fly in,,,, 8)  knife section,,,,,,you got to have a knife when fishing,,,,, ;D

For his first 3 years in the service, he was a forward artillery observer.  He would call in either coordinates for air strikes or naval barrages.  He went from island to island, heading North.  One time, he was in New Guinea — his driver of the Jeep hit a Coral reef when they were under enemy fire — flipping the Jeep over, and Dad landed on the Coral — on his back.  The Coral infected him badly — so he spent 3 months in a hospital in the Philippines — on his stomach — until it was healed.  Then went back to work, and took pilot training instead.

My uncle, who was Dad's twin brother (not identical) was a co-pilot on a B-25 Mitchell that was based in Romania.  He was shot down over Germany — and went through the last (2) years of the war as a German POW.

Too few Americans realize the extent of the sacrifices made by both the "Greatest Generation" & their families back home — during WWII.  Their patriotism, courage and commitment to the Freedoms we enjoy today — are nearly unimaginable.  While likely nearly everyone on Alan's site do realize and are grateful for these sacrifices — there are a majority of Americans who cannot be bothered to vote a couple of times a year — or even display a flag on Memorial Day, the 4th, or Veterans Day.  Incredibly sad...

Dad flew a P-61 Black Widow Night Fighter through the Pacific Theatre.

3 man crew — pilot, radar weapons operator, gunner.  He was the pilot.

Here is a little history on the Black Widow —

And here is an old film short from WWII, that shows more detail about the P-61 and its systems.  It was a complicated plane — but also a very effective, stable, and, maneuverable weapon.

These old training and marketing films from the War — are kind of hokey compared to all of the CG animated stuff today — but to me, they are pretty cool.  Hard to imagine an American farmboy flying one of these advanced nightfighters — just 39 years after the Wright brothers flew at Kitty Hawk.

Yes, I would vote for a knife section also.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mo65

Thanks for posting the video Fred, I love the twin-boom aircraft, sweet plane!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Great story Fred, I'm not very fond of flying, but do when there is a need, I love historical aircraft better....heck just love history in general, especially when there is a personal connection.  I've always wanted a KaBar, but just have run across one at a price I was willing to pay.

Also agree a Knife section would be a great addition.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

Love that video and some great history,,,,,, :D my grandfather "ed" was in Pensacola during war war 2 he was a mencanhic and had to go with the test pilots on the bombers,,,,, ??? he didn't like that to much,,,,,but that's why I where the t-shirts,,,,,keep them flying or aluminum overcast,,,,,,, ;D

Gfish

Cool!
Dad served on a Destroyer class ship in the South Pacific. He always carried a picture of it in his wallet. I inherited a Japanese 6.5 mm rifle, his dress blues(can't believe how thin he was) and one of those Aviator compasses that are so common( many for sale on the Bay). Would love to have onea those knives, though. He and guys on that ship used to catch alota Tuna species by handline trolling carved plugs on what musta been some kinda parachute chord.
Great subject matter Fred. One more vote for knife section!
Ya know, he had a nice set of K-9's just like your dad's. Used to try and sacre us with 'em when we were little.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

day0ne

I've had my Navy model K-BAR (the sheath says USN Mark 2) since the late 1960's. Got while I was at Camp Delmar by Oceanside, CA from someone that needed money.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

smnaguwa

Thanks for the post, Fred. And for your father's service. It remineded me of my uncles' Kabars. They were part of the 442nd "Go For Broke" RCT, many who volunteered out of America's concentration camps during WWII. My uncle was part of the 522nd Field Artillery that help open Dachau. They motivated me to join the Air Force and I have a Kabar 1209 with a wooden handle. Still have it.