USA Made KABAR Fighting Knives — Army, Navy, Marines — with Sheath

Started by foakes, May 14, 2019, 10:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Quote from: smnaguwa on May 17, 2019, 02:51:38 PM
Thanks for the post, Fred. And for your father's service. It remineded me of my uncles' Kabars. They were part of the 442nd "Go For Broke" RCT, many who volunteered out of America's concentration camps during WWII. My uncle was part of the 522nd Field Artillery that help open Dachau. They motivated me to join the Air Force and I have a Kabar 1209 with a wooden handle. Still have it.

The 442nd was part of the 36th Infantry Division and were the unit that rescued the "Lost Battalion of the 142nd Infantry Regiment which was surrounded by the Nazi's.  The 442nd, lost more members than the 142nd did.  My unit the 3/133rd Field Artillery is part of the 36th, and am familiar with the history of the Four-Four-Deuce.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

kmstorm64

Both sides of my family were involved heavily in WWII

Mom's side:
Grandfather worked at Quonset as a civilian who repaired aircraft that went out sub hunting
Uncle flew in the 8th Airforce on bombers. He flew a couple of missions with Glenn Miller (no one knew till his funeral and we got to see images of him with Miller)
Uncle in Pacific Fleet on Destroyers and a Cruiser (his greatest claim was his ship held the record for sinking the most subs in one day, 8 captured subs, I can't confirm this is real record or not, and captured most likely doesn't count)

Fathers side:
Step Brother: Marine at Guadalcanal
Step Brother: Army African and Italian Campaigns
Step Brother: Army Europe
In addition
Father: WWI
Uncle: WWI
Gram had three husbands in her lifetime, my father was from her third marriage, and his step brothers were old enough to have been his father easily 18 years or more between them.

This was the norm for WWII, many families had multiple members serving.  The gravity of the situation after Pearl Harbor was almost desperate as the news daily reported losses for the US and the allies. For the Allies the US entering the war changed the outcome as I doubt the Brits and the rest of the Commonwealth nations would of prevailed on their own. Logistically the Brits and Russians were being stretched thin.

Dominick

Since Memorial Day weekend is coming up I am reflecting on losing an uncle and cousin during the landing at Anzio Beach, one of the big fiascoes of WW ll.  Both my uncle and cousin were named Pasquale (different sides of the family).  They each wrote home that they met each other in North Africa before the attack at Anzio.  Sadly notice from the US Army that they had been killed reached their parents before their letters arrived home. 
I also had several uncles and cousins who returned but were changed by what they saw in combat.  One of my uncles was with Patton's army and was one of the first of the GIs to reach the concentration camps.  He would not talk about it.  My thanks to all those who served and are serving today.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Thanks for bringing this up, Dominick —

I too, was thinking about my Dad and his Brother who served in WWII.  

We lost Dad in '84, and Uncle Ralph in '98.

They were twins born on May 21st, 1919.

They would have been a 100 years old, day before yesterday.

Here is my uncle Ralph at a forward Air Base in Romania.  He was a co-pilot on a B-25 flying missions into Germany.  He was shot down, parachuted out, and spent the last 2 years of the War in a Stalag as a POW.

Many, many more, did not make it back.  The chances of not being shot down were 1 in 5, according to flight records — yet their Patriotism, Responsibility to their families, and Courage — are inspiring examples for all peoples, everywhere.

In many of the operations, such as Anzio — the odds of surviving were just as low — yet, they served — and succeeded in their Mission to combat Tyrants.

In a few days, we will commemorate the sacrifices made by all who have served and are serving now.

We owe them so much more than we can ever repay...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Huh? And here I thought Memorial Day was about the best car sale event of the year!!! Buy, buy, buy!!!

But seriously, it's disgusting how on the media it's all about pushing product instead of remembering our heros. I've never known what it's like to have my life turned upside down and find myself in a battlefield. I can only watch in awe at the documentaries (usually on PBS) that tell the stories.

kmstorm64

Quote from: nelz on May 23, 2019, 09:18:19 PM
Huh? And here I thought Memorial Day was about the best car sale event of the year!!! Buy, buy, buy!!!

But seriously, it's disgusting how on the media it's all about pushing product instead of remembering our heros. I've never known what it's like to have my life turned upside down and find myself in a battlefield. I can only watch in awe at the documentaries (usually on PBS) that tell the stories.

The most profound Memorial Day I ever recall when I was stationed in the Netherlands. The folks of the Netherlands at exactly 6:00 PM stop everything they are doing, turn off radios, televisions, stop on highways, and for the next 5 minutes they remember. I can recall hearing nothing but nature, and nothing else.  Very solemn.