New to me 112h Senator Specials

Started by Sscoville, May 15, 2019, 02:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sscoville

Hi- this is my first post on this forum, which I was directed to from thehulltruth. I am resurrecting some Senator combos that have been in my dad's garage for 30 years. The reels are 112hs and the rods are " s3240 rf 4/0"s with roller guides. I am replacing the the roller guide assemblies and planning to use them with the reels. I've removed the old line and wiped the dust and grime from the reels but some salt or other white crud doesn't want to come off of the spools. Should I soak the spools in vinegar?  I've oiled the reels and they seem fine.

I came across a comment from Alan Tani about the limitations of the stock 112h. My understanding was that one can only use about 7.5 lbs of drag before damaging the brass inside and that any line smaller than 30 lbs mono can get between the spool and side plate.

I want to use the combos for Spanish and king mackerell trolling and general bottom fishing. Will these work as is if I'm easy on the frag and don't over fill the spools?  I've read about the various mods one can do on this site. What are the best things I could do for my money to improve them for my purposes?
Than you!

alantani

i know i've been harsh on the 112h before, but i've worked on plenty of these reels after they've done charter boat service and they've held up amazingly well.  i do still recommend the penn 24-56 jigmaster power handle as a standard upgrade, but otherwise the reels remains solid.   like any reel, it can be damaged if you lean on it too hard.  fish it within specs, and it should give you years of reliable service. 

oh, and welcome!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sscoville

thorhammer

They will catch Kings and Spanish all day, everyday, and fine for light bottom fishing as Alan stated within limits. Maybe not grouper, but a fine sea bass and snapper reel. You might consider a service and upgrading to carbontex drags- if the reel is from the 80's it may have original drag washers now glued together. There are also a lot of upgrades should you decide to, and in 112H that age, you likely have steel main gear to start with.  Agree with Alan, I find 30lb mono as spec'd to be just right on this one: 375yds is plenty for a king and heavy enough for some bottom bouncing. My cousin kingfished with these exclusively.

Where are you fishing from?

Alan, I have to mail out a couple of reels for guys, and will send you a check for knob in next day or so.

John

Bryan Young

Quote from: Sscoville on May 15, 2019, 02:04:09 AM
grime from the reels but some salt or other white crud doesn't want to come off of the spools. Should I soak the spools in vinegar?  I've oiled the reels and they seem fine.

Welcome.

Regarding the white crud, I would try soaking the spool in hot water first to see if the white curd dissolves.  If not, I would add white vinegar to the hot water and sir around up until 50% of the mixture.  If you don't see bubbling of the white crud, then I go to something like CLR specifically on areas where the corrosion exist.  after removing the corrosion, I will use a heat gun or blow drier to get the spool hot enough to dry it out, then seal the corrosion spots with a good liquid lubricant, such as TSI or CorrosionX as liquid will get deep down into the nooks can crannies that grease cannot get to.  Then apply a very light coat of grease or hard wax (pure carnauba) to the entire spool and wipe off the excess, and the spool should be good before lining the spool.

For that reel, the stock HT-100 3 stack drag system is more than sufficient, but I also produce a 5 stack drag system that may be smoother at higher drag settings. than the 3 stack.  Both are available at Mystic Reel Parts.

Post some pictures.  We all love pictures...and let us know if you need any help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

Hi Ssoville, be careful with the vinegar and water 50% x 50% mix, only leave the spool & other gear in it for 20 to 30 minutes before you start to brush the crud of, then see if it needs more soaking, if you leave it in to long, it will remove to much chrome, once you think it is okay then, wash the parts in hot water & detergent, & rinse in hot water, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

I use straight vinegar & soak for a couple of hours. Vinegar will not remove chrome, it will only remove the corrosion in the pits in the chrome & the corrosion under the chrome. When the corrosion is under the chrome the chrome is not bonded to the underlieing metal anyway. If you don't remove that corrosion from under the chrome it will continue to errode under the chrome. On the brass parts the vinegar will make the brass change color slightly but a little 0000 steel wool after will brighten it right up. Vinegar is very mild acid & is nuetralized with warm water mixed with baking powder.         Rudy

Sscoville

I'm fishing from Beaufort, SC. I'll try to post some tomorrow. I thought the spools were made of some sort of plastic? 

RowdyW

112h spools came either in stainless steel or anodized aluminum. Some spools also came in graphite from Newell but are not to common.

Sscoville

Here are some photos. I haven't taken either of them completely apart to the point of checking the drag washers.

Benni3

Welcome from Virginia,,, :D that's a very nice reel you're working on,,,, ;) what kind of fishing will you be doing with it,,,, ;D

Sscoville

Nearshore trolling and bottom fishing

thorhammer

that will all clean up quite a bit with vinegar and simple green or dawn. don't put aluminum in simple green.

John

Benni3

The first fish you get on it,,,, :D your going to love it even more,,,,,, ;D

Bill B

I have a fondness for the 112h.....fits my hand well, is capable and plenty strong, many upgrades are available, but with CF drags it will do just about anything you want to do.  Uses the same drag washers as a jigmaster, basically anything a JM can do the 112h.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!