New to me 112h Senator Specials

Started by Sscoville, May 15, 2019, 02:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sscoville

I greased the drags and added the jig master power handles. The size of these handles doesn't really come through in pictures. They are truly substantial compared to the original handles.

thorhammer

Great job! They will fish you for years to come. I have a half dozen of those old Senator rods- pretty indestructible if one takes care not to bang the ring guides (as with any rod). I put those power on all my larger reels with that sleeve-  3/0, 67, 68, 4/0. Nice upgrade.

John

Donnyboat

Great catch Ssoville, great feeling when you have serviced the reel yourself, then catch nice fish like that, dont forget to screw the drag down before you wash the reel after fishing, then try to dry the reel before you lay it down to dry, take the pressure of the drag, and lay the reel down with the face plate pointing down, so you dont let any water work its way into the drag, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Sscoville

Thanks. I've also greased the drags. That should help in case they get wet, right?  How can I tell if I have the HT 100 stack?  In reading some other posts it seems that Penn upgraded the drag set at some point and that the HT 100s were a great improvement? I may have this wrong.

Also, I've seen where some people like to put a stainless dog in and even double dog the reels. What does this do? Does the double dog take the back play out that occurs when the first dog is between teeth?  Does it provide a practical advantage when fishing?

RowdyW

SS dogs are usually used when using a SS gear sleeve. Double dogging can be done two ways. Alternating dogs will take out about 1/2 of the backlash in the handle. Simultanious engagement of the dogs will equalize the pressure on the gear sleeve & balance out the pressuse on the dogs. It can be done by either grinding & reshapeing the dogs or using a gear sleeve with a different number of teeth. SS gear sleeves for the 112h are available with either 8 or 10 teeth. The original sleeve has 8 teeth.Alternating dogs can usually be done by using a 10 tooth sleeve. The fishing advantage is up to you to decide. As to if you have CF drags I couldn't tell unless I see what you have in a closeup photo.      Rudy

Sscoville

Thx. I'll have to get a picture. They are red-brown in color, not black. I guess I could just order new ht 100 washer. They look to be about $1.25 a piece.

RowdyW

HT-100 CF drag washers are a dark grey color. Don't forget to order a new fiber washer for under the main gear & a little container of Cal's Drag Grease. The drag grease is used mainly to aliviate sticky drags. It wouldn't hurt to order a half dozen dog springs also. Those little buggers tend to head for never never land every so often.  ;D