Zebco 74

Started by festus, May 14, 2019, 07:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I figured this reel would be junked for parts.  It was very dirty, the bail didn't work, neither did the anti-reverse and turning the handle was very stiff.

Not too dirty inside, very dry of grease and the a/r spring had jumped out of place.

A non-threaded pin secures the slider onto the axle.

Removing the axle.

Another one of those examples that the pinion is built in to the rotor and secured by a C-shaped plate.

Doesn't look like reassembling the a/r will be much of a problem.

Looks dirty enough to go ahead and disassemble all bail parts and clean them.

Making a note where shims and washers need to go.

Drag system consisted of a pressure washer, a thick cork-like washer, and a metal washer.

I'm thinking the bail assembly will work again when I get it all back together.

Parts after cleaning.

Again, this oddball pick worked wonders on reseating a bail trip spring.

Reseating the a/r assembly.

Using Superlube on main and pinion gears.

Handle and main gear back in place.

Reattaching the rotor to the main body.

Almost back together.

Everything functions now, bail is crisp, a/r working fine and it reels smoothly.  The reel weighs 8.9 oz with the empty spool.  Looking at the Fishingtalks Zebco page, these reels were probably manufactured in the early 1980s. 

Midway Tommy

Nice resto, Chester. That non-threaded pin attachment was pretty standard practice by Zebco. They picked it up from the Langley buyout and used it quite often along the way. That line was made from '80-'83 by Hyoshi of Japan. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Nice work; always a good read to learn something about a reel you weren't previously familiar with.

Frank

festus

Thanks for the compliments, guys.  I've only been learning reel repair about 20 months and still try to glean all the info possible can no matter how cheap or expensive they are.

Today I serviced an ultralight Shakespeare spinner I'd been putting off that belonged to my stepson who passed away March of last year.

Didn't think I'd get it back together.  Those roller pins inside the one-way-clutch fell out.  ::)  Was my first experience with that mess but they went back in after a couple tries.

The Fishing Hobby

The little Zebco would make a nice little panfish reel! Simple design but it looks pretty functional.
Sorry for the loss of your stepson  :'(
That is cool that you are fixing up his reel.
Just a tip on the needle rollers in the instant anti-reverse (and you may already know this) just use a light amount of oil for lubricating it and no grease. Grease can cause the rollers not to lock up on the sleeve and too much oil can cause slipping.

festus

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 16, 2019, 04:30:01 AM
The little Zebco would make a nice little panfish reel! Simple design but it looks pretty functional.
Sorry for the loss of your stepson  :'(
That is cool that you are fixing up his reel.
Just a tip on the needle rollers in the instant anti-reverse (and you may already know this) just use a light amount of oil for lubricating it and no grease. Grease can cause the rollers not to lock up on the sleeve and too much oil can cause slipping.
Thanks for the condolences, Kevin, l also lost my other stepson in September of last year to the same illness.

Yep, l gave the rollers a drop of oil, learned that from Abu baitcasters.  And you also gave that helpful tip on your Ozark Trail reel exposed to saltwater video il watched a few minutes ago.  

The Fishing Hobby

Oh man that is tough, sorry to hear about that.

happyhooker

Festus, I lost my big sister, Mom and Dad in the space of a couple of years back around 2012, and not a day goes by that I don't see something around the house that reminds me of at least one of them.  Those memories are good.  That reel probably does the same for you.

Frank

JeffG

I feel ya on the tiny rollers! I took a dam FD Microlite AT apart and ran into same issue! Got it back together. Is not the smoothest, but has turned into my trout reel as it caught 4 on opening day of spring season in Illinois! Good job!

Quote from: festus on May 16, 2019, 03:34:27 AM
Thanks for the compliments, guys.  I've only been learning reel repair about 20 months and still try to glean all the info possible can no matter how cheap or expensive they are.

Today I serviced an ultralight Shakespeare spinner I'd been putting off that belonged to my stepson who passed away March of last year.

Didn't think I'd get it back together.  Those roller pins inside the one-way-clutch fell out.  ::)  Was my first experience with that mess but they went back in after a couple tries.