Video teardown of locked up reel (saltwater victim) with some repair tips

Started by The Fishing Hobby, May 16, 2019, 04:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

I thought I'd drop this one here. Thought it might help out someone without much experience at some point.
Reel Won't Turn? How To Fix A Broken Reel That Won't Crank

Bill B

Excellent video brother...well put together and good explainations...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

David Hall

Thanks for that excellent tutorial.  I've never been into any of my spinners yet.  My next challenge.

bhale1

Yep, another good vid my friend. I already saw it on the ole YouTube, since i subbed to your channel.
Thanks
Brett

The Fishing Hobby

Thank you! I hope you enjoy my channel. I really enjoy doing the videos and the interaction with people in the comments.

Reel 224

I wish I had a YouTube account to take videos like you. You do an excellent job with those videos.

Joe/Off the Hook Rod & Reel
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 17, 2019, 04:11:50 PM
I wish I had a YouTube account to take videos like you. You do an excellent job with those videos.

Joe/Off the Hook Rod & Reel
Go for it Joe! It isn't very difficult to learn to do and most people on there are pretty nice to communicate with!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MeanMachine

TRS

They call it fishing, not catching

Christopher M Songer

I see a lot of spinning reels that could use new bearings or upgrade plastic/nylon bushings. Where do you source your generic bearings? 10 for $5 for example) 95% of my work is fresh water so salt corrosion is not a factor. A lot of spinning reels are not worth high end bearing that would cost more then the reel is worth. I just want to get them back into the hands of the owner in better shape. Even without new bearings if I can make them happy my goal is meet.   Thanks
Always go forward, never go straight

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Christopher M Songer on October 05, 2019, 12:09:35 PM
I see a lot of spinning reels that could use new bearings or upgrade plastic/nylon bushings. Where do you source your generic bearings? 10 for $5 for example) 95% of my work is fresh water so salt corrosion is not a factor. A lot of spinning reels are not worth high end bearing that would cost more then the reel is worth. I just want to get them back into the hands of the owner in better shape. Even without new bearings if I can make them happy my goal is meet.   Thanks
eBay is where I buy most of mine. Common sizes are the cheapest.
Here is an example of a common size reel bearing and you can make an offer for less than the advertised price:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F161303271478

The Fishing Hobby

Scrolling down through the list in my search and there are other listings for less $$$ as well.