US Senator series AR

Started by Tunanorth, May 17, 2019, 05:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

This new bridge is of a better design. The brass ratchet does get chewed up but usually leaves the dogs unmarred. Shimming the dogs for alignment with the brass ratchet can alleviate some of this & prolong longevity a bit in some cases.    It would be nice if Penn would incorporate Tom's improvements. However I fully understand why this may not be a workable thing.

At this point I'm just happy Penn has kept this reel around. It is things like this along with Penn's Torque star drag line a line of reels that fish multiple line classes & work for multiple species better than any other star drag series of reels made today that I am aware of, that has won me over... Jeff

kmstorm64

Quote from: Tunanorth on May 17, 2019, 07:08:05 PM
Fred,
The engineers do see almost all aftermarket products out there, some of them are obviously very good. The issue has always been cost, and I know when this has been discussed before, adding anything price-wise to a reel that is already not strong at retail is not practical.
Will try to find out more detail on the "dog pin assembly to bridge plate" improvement, but it may have to wait for Tony to return.
Steve

Not strong at retail...if you don't improve upon it, make it better than what it is, how do you expect to make it strong at retail?  Just putting them on sale isn't going to do it.  Not if your overseas competition  is fixing their issues and/ or making upgrades.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Ron Jones

I know we love them, but honestly these reels aren't a huge mover for Penn and aren't going to be again. I'm thinking the R&D funds for the new Fathoms and Torques was money much better spent.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 12, 2019, 06:51:58 PM
I know we love them, but honestly these reels aren't a huge mover for Penn and aren't going to be again. I'm thinking the R&D funds for the new Fathoms and Torques was money much better spent.

I agree.

Is there a better casting 4/0 size reel with the same line capacity ?

I love the Baja/ US113 will never be without at least two functioning ones

This reel while very capable just not have the bling factor that many who purchase reels today desire... Jeff

Tunanorth

Quote from: kmstorm64 on July 12, 2019, 02:37:36 PM
Quote from: Tunanorth on May 17, 2019, 07:08:05 PM
Fred,
The engineers do see almost all aftermarket products out there, some of them are obviously very good. The issue has always been cost, and I know when this has been discussed before, adding anything price-wise to a reel that is already not strong at retail is not practical.
Will try to find out more detail on the "dog pin assembly to bridge plate" improvement, but it may have to wait for Tony to return.
Steve

Not strong at retail...if you don't improve upon it, make it better than what it is, how do you expect to make it strong at retail?  Just putting them on sale isn't going to do it.  Not if your overseas competition  is fixing their issues and/ or making upgrades.

Cosmetically, the reel does not appeal to many younger anglers in this price range. We know they shouldn't care what it looks like.....but they do.
Many older anglers just see an old-school black sideplate Senator, and refuse to listen to any description of the upgrades.
Not aware of any competitor's reel that is remotely like it.
Both the competition and PENN are moving where the majority of the market is going, I am very happy that it continues to make the cut, no matter how narrowly it gets there.
Also note that the described issue has been solved, any continuing issues with current/newer production?