Those Who Fish Every Week

Started by Rivverrat, May 19, 2019, 10:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

If you fish every week, salt or fresh water I have an very strong interest in knowing

1)  Reel or reels you have that see the most use   

2)  Rod / rods are used & the line rating

3)  Brand & weight of line

Thanks, Jeff...

David Hall

It depends on what I'm fishing for and the conditions but this time of year my primary target is king salmon in Monterey Bay.  I troll with 9'6" Lamiglass XCC Rods with Shimano tekota reels loaded with 30# mono.  If I'm mooching I have a Daiwa line counter reel on a custom 7' seeker for dropping anything from 6oz. To 2lb. Lead to get down 300' where the fish are hanging out.
If tuna shows up it's a different game altogether.  2 speed reels on heavier rods for trolling and a Tranx 500 loaded with 60# braid and a short flouro topshot on  a 9' seeker J90 #40lb rod. For sliding with swimbaits or flipping surface irons and live baiting.
Halibut fishing another story I use 20-30# weight rods and some tanked out jigmasters.
Rock fishing I like a 8' seeker and a Daiwas saltiga hg 20 with 60# braid and a 10' mono topshot in 30#.its a different setup for different conditions or types of fishing.

Rivverrat

David, thanks for the detailed answer.  How  much time do you have on your Tekotas ? ...Jeff

Cor

As David says, I fish various disciplines, different fish, different terrain and boats, which calls for different tackle, though in my case subtly different.   Accurate casting is probably the most important aspect as nearly all involve Irons or other surface lures cast at surface fish, therefore you are somewhat limited with rods.

In the past, for 20 years I standardised my reels to Daiwa SL50SH, 45 lb Suffix XL Strong mono and very strong fast action rods of about 10'6""  (Blanks by a local manufacturer Purglas)  During that period I fished between 3 & 6 times per week, only from shore in the early days.

Later I used the same tackle on boats.

Then from about 2003 onwards I started to use some different conventional reels in addition, Trinidads, Toriums, Penn, Okuma and Saltigas and same rods.   One longer rod for casting a bit further when required and with that a Daiwa GRANDWAVE - x 40shv.   Line remained mainly the same, but I started to experiment with braid and braid backing.

From 2013 I started to use lighter tackle and I standardised on Tranx 500HG reels and substantially lighter rods as well.   Various Blanks but eventually settled on 10 to 11 ft Composite Development (NZ) Graphcast 4 rods.   I also now use braid as my main line, 50lb with 40 mt 80lb topshot.   My rig is now roughly 1/3 lighter in weight.

My boat tackle has become much more varied and I often use very light rods, but usually the same conventional reels.

Over my life I've used the most (listed from least used to most) Penn 49, Tadler, Shimano 20/40 star, Shimano Tranx 500 HB, Daiwa SL50SH.
Rods, Composite Development (NZ) Graphcast 4 and Purglas /3 & /4.

In winter I fish for small fish (about 3 lb average) from shore, I use a DAIWA SL -X30 SHA
and a 11 ft firm casting rod made for about 20lb line and a casting weight of 2 oz.   This is made on a cheapish Chinese blank which works extremely well for the job.   I use the same 45lb line  ::) because of abrasion on the rocks and very rough terrain.  

(I have different tackle (no spinning reels) but above is the main tackle I use or have used)

I hope this helps and remember I am not in the USA and we fish very differently here.
Cornelis

Gfish

Almost always fishin from my kayak. 5 rigs. 5 rigs is alot in the yak, but changing terminal tackle is difficult and best avoided with the wave action.
A)Light reef spinner: Stratic 3000 w/ 30lb. Samurai braid or Shakespeare 2062 w/ 15lb.mono. Either one on a nice St.Croix 6'6" 1/2-1oz.

B)Heavy reef spinner: Stratic 8000 w/ 40lb. P.pro braid on a Ugly Stick Bigwater 7' at 1/2-3oz.

C)1-conventional for casting or dropping: 3 choices; PXN21 HS-Jigmaster w/ 50lb. P.pro) Avet SX 6/4 mc, either one of these on a Shimano Trevala 6'6"-30-80 lb. Or an Abu Revo Toro Beast w/40lb. P.pro on an 8ft. Shimano TRD 1/2-1&1/2 oz.
Redid this one, more latter....

D) 2 conventionals for lure and dead bait trolling, many choices but favorites are: Sailfisher 130 w/ 65lb. P.pro and modified 259(long beach live bait caster) with 65lb. P.pro. Both would be on my 2 Shakespeare Ugly Stick Bigwater rods, 20 - 50 lb. rated.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

This:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26433.0
and this
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27258.0
exclusively.
As the weather and time permits which is about 2-3 hours one to four times per week.
20# Power Pro or ebay dyneema.
-steve

Captain64-200

From  the  shore , I use a looot of differents techniques and gear depending on the season , weather , swell ....all rods have in common carbon fiber .

Two 12" surfrods (SERT, french brand ) 3->7 oz , with a BAM620/8500SS Penn/   20/25/30 lbs mono.
One 10" Bloody (HART )  casting 3/4 to 2.1/4 oz  for shore jigging  with shimano 5500XSC  , 20 lbs power pro
One 9"  Lure Team  (Decathlon)   1/2 to 1.1/2  oz for stickbaits , plugs
One 16" Extensis 500("        ")   1/4 to 3 ,  bobber and  light  fishing for porgys ,shimano sienna 10lbs kastking braid

Boat :   abu garcia 7 "madaï jig   , shimano Cardiff 12lbs power pro

3   Ron Thomson  (cheap but excellent) 6"  20/30lbs  CF but glass tip  , W    12000FA Shimano/Crack 300/ mitchell 300  30lbs mono     
          2    Penn slammer 20/30  W Penn 320 GTI / 321 GTI 25lbs  green Ande for light trolling

That's the stuff I use more frequently .
Fred from Biarritz ,

Benni3

Pfueger patriarch with a 8lb to 18lb rod,,,,,8lbtest,,,good for anything up 15lb fish,,,,,torque 5 with a 25lb fin-nor rod 30lb power pro,,,,706 with a tommado post 20lb mono freshwater,,,,, ;D

David Hall

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 19, 2019, 11:31:05 PM
David, thanks for the detailed answer.  How  much time do you have on your Tekotas ? ...Jeff

I have three seasons on some of them and some of them are brand new, I just picked up the latest incarnation of the reel.  they made some excellent improvements in the reel this year.

thorhammer

Abu 4500,5500 or 5600 series with various 7', appx. 10-20 lb graphite rods mostly with 12lb Stren for bass. I like Loomis, StCroix, Fenwick but have a lot of BPS Graphite GS series- work fine.

7'9" Tsunami graphite rods with 550SS and 5500SS for striper popping with 20lb PP and fluoro leader

Penn Slammer rods with 330GTI's for leadcore, Daiwa 47's on Silstar 7'6" Baitfeeder rods. Man, I wish they still made them. Trolling bucktails and Alabama rgs for stripers.

Penn 360 Slammer on a 7' St Croix I built, a spool of 8lb fluoro and a spool of 20lb PP. If I get one rod, this one has been all over North America with me and caught everything from trout to yellowtail snapper to mahi. Other assorted 7' graphite rods with 4300 / 4400 / 4500 and PP braid / fluoro.

various Shimano and Quick UL's for panfish, with 6lb Stren. not too picky about rods as long as they are light

Penn Mag 10's and Abu 6500 for livebaiting stripers, on Graphite GS rods

Offshore: International 20's, 30's, 50's with 50 lb Big Game Solar. 20 / 30 are braid backed. Everol Super 50's and regular 80's if Gulfstream. All on International Rods. 9500SS, 560, 460 Slammer Liveliner on Shimana Trevala sticks with braid for casting  / jigging duty. I always bring one or the other of my Cortez builds to play with too, usually a 4/0 full custom on a Seeker Stroker for grouper and AJ's with 50lb Berkley or Ande, and a Jiggy.  

Surf: 12' Tsunami's with Penn 980 / 970 / custom Jiggy / or 525 Mag for drum with 20-25lb Big Game. 11-12 rods with 9500SS / 850SS / 560 Slammer with braid also.

I usually mix in something else from the collection but these are what stay ready to roll, 365, to cover anything I might do.

Striper fishing behind dam: 13'8" one piece Lamiglas and Fenwick E Glas with Mitchell 488's. These will launch, and the reels eat a lot of line quickly to keep up with tailrace current.

I keep saying i'm going to shark from the dirt to get the big Senators messy, but haven't yet.

John

Rivverrat

John, what model is that 7' St. Croix ?

thorhammer

Jeff, I haven't the foggiest- I built it around 2002 and the label is under a diamond wrap, and it was in a batch of close-out SC blanks I bought for ten bucks each :) I'd estimate it at 10-25 lb, med power, fast action. I've bailed mahi up to about 20lbs with it (on PP) and it allowed a good bit of pressure from that line weight, but still throws 1/2 oz grubs fine. I've been very satisfied with St Croix whether factory built or Thorhammer wrapped.

I listed my preferred stands, but I will allow that I fish a good bit with garbage can combos I leave in my dock box- I chunk out a bait for perch then whack him up for cat bait while I'm working on dock or boats. These are all med spinners with cheap 6'6" rods and 12 lb mono- basically tourist specials, but I did catch a 15lb'r the other week on one, and good to lend if someone needs one. I lent a 7'6" Lamiglas once to someone who supposedly knew how to fish- they cracked it on the motor cowling first class and declined to tell me.....So now, Ugly's it is :)

boon

I only fish from a boat. I fish weekly or pretty close to it, unless I am travelling.

There is one rod that comes with me every time I go out. It's a Shimano Carbolite 10-15kg 7' spin rod with a Shimano Stella 5000SWBHG. This is spooled with Ocea EX8 PE2, 36lb test braid, with a 30lb mono leader approx. 10ft long. I use this rod for everything from making bait to fishing up to 300ft with ledger rigs.

There are a handful of other rods that come out with me fairly regularly.

A Shimano Status Bent Butt PE3-5, with a Shimano Talica 25II, primarily used for livebaiting for yellowtail (Kingfish in these parts) but also for anything over about 300ft. This is spooled with 80lb hollowcore with a maybe 15ft 100lb mono leader spliced in.

A Shimano Abyss Jig Spin PE8, with an Okuma Makaira 20000S, spooled with Daiwa J-Braid 8X PE8 (roughly 100lb bs), with a PR knot to a 15ft long 150lb mono leader. This is primarily used for mechanical jigging, but also for livebaiting on some occasions.

Rivverrat

Boon, I've run into some fellas tha tf realky like the Shimano Carbolite rods. Never been a big fan of Shimano based on some things in the past.

But many like them I understand why... Jeff

1badf350

During the summer months I put many hard hours on my gear surf and pier fishing.
Penn Battle II 2500 reels on Star Stellar Lite rods jigging for blues and Spanish with 15lb Power Pro braid. I love these and never once had a problem.
Penn Squall 15 on Ocean Master 12' 6-12oz surf rod with 20lb mono. The Squall is meh ok for the price.
Daiwa Saltist BG30H on Ocean Master 12' 6-12oz surf rod and 20lb mono. LOVE
Shimano TLD-25 on a stand-up Ande. I like it but the TLDs fade so easily.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"