Newell 229 thrust washer

Started by double_entendre, May 20, 2019, 04:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

double_entendre

Cleaning up some old Newell reels that I've had sitting around (S229, C220, S332) and the thrust washer behind the main gear is cracked radially (from the inner edge to the outer edge) on the 229.  Any sources for that?

Thank you!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

double_entendre

alantani

ah, that one is easy.  you just use the carbontex drag washer that goes under the main gear of the jigmaster.  actually, if you have not changed out the drag washers, i would recommend upgrading all four.  go to smoothdrag.com for the drag washers and cal's grease.  let me know if you need help ordering them.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

double_entendre

Awesome. 

I'm picking up an old project that I'd bought carbon washers for years ago.  (This reel has been in a plastic bag in a cupboard all that time--no rush, eh? hah)  I think I just need that washer and I'm good to go.

Thank you!

double_entendre

Well rot.  The best laid plans of mice and men.

Turns out I also need 3-142, 3-144, and 3-23.

Interestingly, I seem to have a 3-23 I had previously ordered and it, along with the original one, seems too small for the nut that's supposed to slip into it.  They're both about 1mm smaller than the nut and fits with room to spare into the handle.  Hmmm.

Any sources for those items?

enfish

I think you're ok with the 3-23 that appears undersized. When you tighten the nut on it, it should expand out and "grab" the corners of the nut to act like a lock washer so the nut doesn't back off.

I've removed the 3-142's from all my Newells as it doesn't seem to do anything except rust or crack.

For the 3-144, the Penn 18-505 should work in its place.

double_entendre

Interesting thoughts. 

I wonder if the plastic retainer isn't supposed to be a seal and lockwasher in one.  Seems a strange design.  Wonder who came up with that and why. 

I'll have to mull on the outer of the two.  I'm sure there's a reason for it.  I measured the ID, OD, and thickness.  Might be able to find an adequate substitute from McMaster Carr or some such. 

Great tip on the Penn substitute.  That's a perfect solution. 

double_entendre

Well try this on for size. 

Went to a local shop after calling them (Fisherman's Hardware in Huntington Beach).  They had both parts in stock.  Had one of the 3-144 and a few 3-142.  They bought someone's inventory a while ago and are just using them.  I took a few of the 142s (back stock) and their only 144. 

Sweet!

enfish