Nearly NIB Ocean City 614 14/0 big game reel with very rare fighting handle

Started by 1badf350, May 22, 2019, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

I had to arm wrestle John Taylor to see who was gonna get this one. He's a big guy so I had to use both hands to win.  ;D
The fighting handle is very cool and was only listed in the 1951 and 1952 catalogs. I haven't seen but maybe four of them. Same goes for the box, I've only seen 3 boxes.
Mike can probably elaborate more on these. Looking forward to the OC book.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

AC49

milne

Looks purretty Chris,
          Don't know much about Ocean City reels,  But
        Arm wrestling John Taylor means you sure did deserve it !  ;D

Col

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

54bullseye

Chris I bet you wish you had this one to go with it !! Lol !!!!   John Taylor

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

The Great Maudu

54bullseye

Quote from: The Great Maudu on May 26, 2019, 11:30:52 PM
Both those reels are great. That 16/0 cleaned up nice John.

Mike I didn't even have to clean that cradle up that's the way it came. That is the one on OC website with the nice rod.  I sold my other one.   John Taylor

Penn Chronology

QuoteI had to arm wrestle John Taylor to see who was gonna get this one. He's a big guy so I had to use both hands to win.  
The fighting handle is very cool and was only listed in the 1951 and 1952 catalogs. I haven't seen but maybe four of them. Same goes for the box, I've only seen 3 boxes.
Mike can probably elaborate more on these. Looking forward to the OC book.

Well Chris, I understand why you fought for that reel. Hard to say how many of these Fighting Handles are around. They were simply offered as a optional accessory in the early 1950's. not much more to say about them. I can't imagine that too many were sold because they were gone soon after they were introduced and finding one today is no easy task. The one I have was a lucky find. It was sitting in a bucket, in a old timers tackle shop. As a matter of fact, the shop was a Ocean City outlet back in the 1950's. The shop owner is long passed away and when I found the reel, old and dirty in the back room of the shop I asked the owner to sell it to me. He said he could not sell until he serviced it. I asked him how much he would want for it after he serviced it, he told me $150. I offered him the $150 as it was and he looked at me like I was stupid. Maybe he was right, but he sold me the reel on the spot. It is a 12/0 customized with the fighting handle, the fancy free spool lever and a set of rear lugs. I have owned the reel for over ten years and will probably be buried with it.

As for my OC books. I am looking forward to them also. Just recently completed the editing and Volume I is in the Final Stages. Volume II has also been submitted which will have the Summaries and All the Catalogs. All the work has been submitted. I am at the mercy of the publisher. I believe it is getting close.

1badf350

Wow Mike a 12/0 with rear rod brace lugs, ive never seen that before. Very cool!
Thats a great story as well. Thats a heck of a deal!
-Chris

54bullseye

That's a beauty Mike !!! I guess they made them for 10/0s through the 16/0s and seems there have been a few surfacing lately but I have yet to see one on a 10/0 !!! Could be the Holy Grail of handles ??????  John Taylor

Penn Chronology

QuoteWow Mike a 12/0 with rear rod brace lugs, ive never seen that before. Very cool!

Converting an OC 10/0 or 12/0 to rear rod brace reel is easy. The OC lugs are not integral, they mount on top of the rim ring. So you simply get a extra forward brace assembly (lugs, short pillars, turnbuckles and a clamp). Remove the rear long pillars and install the a front lug set on the rear. Now your 12/0 looks like a 14 or 16/0....<:O)

QuoteThat's a beauty Mike !!! I guess they made them for 10/0s through the 16/0s and seems there have been a few surfacing lately but I have yet to see one on a 10/0 !!! Could be the Holy Grail of handles   John Taylor

Holy Grail of Handles. Interesting. That statement makes me wonder if the Holy Grail had a handle??   :-\ :-\ :-\