49A Upgrade (Formerly: Building a wide 49)

Started by xjchad, May 23, 2019, 06:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

UPDATE: I started this project as a way to create my own 49A.  Since my last post on May 24, 2019 I had let it sit.  I was busy with other stuff and discouraged with trying to figure out a way to make my own wide spool.  Since then I recently aquired and REAL 49A!!!  ;D  My many thanks goes out to the generous person that made it happen for me (you know who you are).  It's special to me to have a reel that has caught fish on the ledges of Rooikrantz!  Initially I wanted to clean it up and put it on the shelf, but you all know that I love fishing the older gear and I'm not much for shelf queens.  SO, I'm going to go ahead with modifying this reel to fish with me and continue it's legacy of catching trophy fish from shore.  NOTE:  I will not make any modifications that can't be undone to put it back to original.  Any parts that have permanent modifications are from the donor 49 reel that I started with and the original parts will be kept safe until I'm ready to put it back to it's original state.  Most of the mods I've done below will continue to be used, so be sure to read the whole thread.

When Ted posted the batch of 49A reels and spools for sale, I got REELLY interested in them.  Especially the history behind them!  I loved reading all the info and stories about how they came about and were fished.  Then it occurred to me that the 49A would work great for the type of land based shark fishing that I do.  So far, all my LBSF has been done with bait casted from the surf on my 12' Penn Prevail and 9500SS combo.  I love this set up and will continue to use it for most of my fishing.  However, I've been wanting to start kayaking baits out to further areas that I can't reach with a cast.  I was able to build a buddy a reel in trade for a kayak, and then Darin sent me a sweet classic Penn International Tuna Stick (50-130 lb.) so all I need now is a reel.  I was going to build a 6/0 but I think the wide 49 will be the ticket.

The sharks that I catch here are mostly Sevengills, and their MO is to charge the beach when hooked.  I was concerned that the 6/0 would not have the speed necessary to keep the line tight when they did so.  The 3.5:1 ratio of the 49 should work great.  I don't have the cash to buy a 49A so I started thinking about how I could build my own.   I'll start with showing the first steps of this build and then update as it progresses.  

The first thing was to acquire a 49 which I had in a bin already.  Can't remember where I got it, but I looks like it has good potential.  

Opened up it has some light greese/oil smeared everywhere, but not too bad looking.  The pinion gear is steel, but the main is bronze.

I had a Newell Jigmaster stand and bars that will widen it and give more rigidity.

I also found a 4/0 stainless gear sleeve and a steel gear for it.

In order to use the gear sleeve, I'll need to convert to the 349 bridge with the larger post as Sal has done here: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6197.msg52039#msg52039  

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the holes to align close enough to make it work.  Even when I tried only setting the screws a couple of threads at a time.  I tried everything aside from modifying the head plate.  

The other issue I found was that even with a couple of the screws in place, the post was not centered properly.

After chewing on it for a while, I decided to try something different.  I'm pretty confident that this will be solid, but only time will tell.  I removed the post from each bridge.

I bored out the hole in the 49 bridge to about .001" under the diameter of the 349 post.  I then machined the height of the post down to a few thou below the thickness of the bridge plate.  The post was then drilled and tapped for a stainless bolt.  I applied Loctite and pressed the post into the bridge and then fastened it in place with the bolt and washer (also loctited and torqued).  Fingers crossed!!

That's where I'm at for now.  Next steps will be to make some stainless dogs to DD it.  Figure out how I'm going to modify the drag for more strength.  Make my own wide spool.  

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Darin Crofton

What a cool project man, so happy the rod I sent is part of it! Definitely will be following this and hoping for your success, good luck my friend!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

1badf350

Oh yea im gonna follow thus too. Great write up so far!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Alto Mare

Very cool Chad, can't wait for the finished product.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crow

Looking REEL good ! I'd thought that the idea of "bolting" the shaft, to the bridge would be a good way to go, as well. But opted for soldering the screw holes closed, and drilling /tapping new ones. I'm anxious to see your ideas on a wider spool,too !  For the fishing I do, the "regular width" holds plenty of line, but...maybe there is a "chance" I'll get to expand my horizons!! I really like the 49 series reels.....next thing I will try is "magging"one, like Sal did, on his.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Fishy247

Pretty cool stuff! Looking forward to seeing more!

foakes

Spool should be there today, Chad —

Or maybe yesterday.

Sent Priority.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Quote from: foakes on May 23, 2019, 09:07:53 PM
Spool should be there today, Chad —

Or maybe yesterday.

Sent Priority.

Best,

Fred

I did get it today, thanks again Fred!!  :)

Donnyboat

Nice work chad, very interesting, thanks for taking us along, looking forward to the finish cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

festus

Very interesting work, Chad.  Good luck with the finish.

Ron Jones

A slightly faster wahoo special, I love it.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mhc

Nice work Chad, good to see you back on the tools  8) How did you widen the hole in the 5-49 main to fit the 4/0 sleeve?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

milne

I luv reading threads like this.
   Following with interest,  brilliant......

Col

xjchad

Thanks guys!
I'm out of town on a work trip all next week so it will be awhile until my next installment.

Anyone in OKC or Waco?  ;)

Quote from: mhc on May 24, 2019, 07:16:04 AM
Nice work Chad, good to see you back on the tools  8) How did you widen the hole in the 5-49 main to fit the 4/0 sleeve?

Mike

Mike,
I wish I had access to a lathe to bore it out properly, but I just used a step drill  ::)