Squidder bearing

Started by milne, May 24, 2019, 03:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Col, if i have a pair of decent bearings, you want them? N/C

John

Dominick

Col, BTW the bearings in the reel may have been the same but that does not make it correct.  Someone may have placed the wrong bearings in the reel and that may have been why they failed.  I would order from Mystic and place the side specific in its rightful position.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Not sure if Mo from Mystic Parts is referring to the later models,and I'm not even sure if those did change, but the Squidder bearings are identical on both sides.
ID.......... 3mm
OD....... 12.6mm
width .....4.3mm

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

I recently serviced a squidder, the bearings did have shields on them, and I managed to service both bearings, not sure if they were original with the reel, I brought it second hand. running really smooth now, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

And you guys are correct. The latest I just checked has a tiny spring for the shield.
These could be serviced.

I remember when I tried a while back, the tiny ball bearings and inner cage came out.
This tells me you might need to make sure you remote the correct side.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

milne

Quote from: thorhammer on June 25, 2019, 08:03:56 PM
Col, if i have a pair of decent bearings, you want them? N/C

John
Thanks for the offer, mighty decent of you. I have a biggish order to put thru soon from mystic, to save freight costs, I have two more 113h's to d/dog
and trick up, so it's no problem to have a couple of new Squidder bearings thrown in,  but really appreciate your offer.

I was really just confused on the bearing issue. I pulled apart a shelfy Squidder and removed both bearings, they are definitely the same size both sides.
After removing the original ones on the Squidder I'm pimping and soaking in acetone, then over a few days letting some oil soak into them, it was obvious they were absolutely trashed, SO, because this reel is being pimped and will be in my boats arsenal, I do want to get some new ones in there.
I was struggling with the mystic site, identifying the correct bearings I needed, so I flicked an email to them, great response in no time at all, but was told they are two different bearings all together, and cant be swapped, so as previously mentioned, my removed ones are identical, as are a second Shelf  Squidder I checked.
So, the option from Mystic is a part number for the handle side bearing and another part number for the tail plate bearing, which also comes with the screw in bearing holder. But It was footnoted that due to tooling differences, this may have to be screwed in with pliers !, so I didn't want that, I would use my existing "screw in " bearing holder, as the new ones aren't as good a fit.   Hence, I was going to order 2 of the handle side bearings and be done.
So it was a bit confusing until I found an old thread listing bearing sizes, as Sal has done above ( thankyou) which appears they are indeed the same bearing.  Maybe Mystic have to buy the screw in bearing holder which has a bearing installed in it from Penn or where ever, hence the separate part no and the confusion that they are different sized bearings,, not sure....  But I didn't want the new bearing holder and have to put that much pressure on the tail plate by having to use pliers to screw it in, i mean it may be alright, i don't know.
So, as soon as I get my order together for my other pimping reels, I'll just order a pair of the head plate bearings and see how they go.
Thanks fella's,   couldn't get my head around this one      cheers

Col

milne

My projects have been on hold of late, but managed to assemble this modified Squidder on the weekend.
I have to admit, I'm lovin the results.
The internals are all stock, I will up grade the drags and anything else that's available when I put my next order in to mystic.
But I can sure see a use for this wee reel in my arsenal when the boat is re birthed.

A big shout out to Randy for the Tiburon frame and spool  AND for this really cool handle,
As usual with Randy,  some quality gear, new and second hand.....

Col

Alto Mare

Reel looks great Col, enjoy it!

Sal

Crow

Looks like a good one, Col !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

milne

Thanks guys,
                     Every one I build becomes my new favourite !!.
             And it does give great satisfaction once there completed sitting in front of you.........

Col

mo65

That Squidder looks great Col. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ez2cdave

milne

Thanks MO...........

Dave, Thanks for that link,   I luv looking at Alan's detailed rebuilds......

Col

Gfish

Col, let us know how much line goes on that little beauty.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

milne

Will do G,
            I might be a bit away from spooling it up tho.
    I know Darrin has the same mod, I cant remember what he spooled his up with ????
  In fact, He was going to report back a while ago how his went.

Lets here that report Darrin ?????

Col