Need Bail Stopper for Abu/Zebco Crdinal

Started by billgulledge, May 24, 2019, 04:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgulledge

I have two of these reels. One is marked "Abu" and the other is a Zebco  Otherwise, the reels appear identical.  I believe they are old Cardinal 4s, 6s or 7s. My reel is marked "ABU" and "Cardinal" on the side and "made in Sweden" on the reel foot, but I see no model identification other than "Cardinal.
I need a part for the Abu reel.  I believe the part is the "bail stopper." It is a flat piece made of what looks to be white nylon, roughly rectangular in shape with rounded ends and a little "ear" that protrudes through the spool shroud and engages the bail mechanism. The part number for a Zebco 6 is 8232 and for a Zebco 7 is 8233. The little ear is broken from the main piece.
Based on physical dimensions or appearance, how do I determine the model of this reel – 4, 6 or 7? Is there a 5?
What is the correct part number for the part that I need, and how do I locate one?
If no replacement part is available, can I glue the little ear back onto the main piece? What glue to use? (Probably not a good solution)
Can I make the part? If so, what material should I use – type and thickness?
Love these reels and hope I can get this one back in operation, and any help will be appreciated.

Midway Tommy

You do not have a Cardinal 4/44. It is either a 6/66 or 7/77.

Are you sure the bail stopper is broken? They seldom break, sometimes they are slightly worn on the end but nothing a little touch up filing won't cure. Usually when the bail doesn't function on a Cardinal 6/66 or 7/77 it is because the bail plate (part# 8734 for both) has been broken and the notch that catches the stopper is chipped. Your stopper numbers are correct. The bottom of the spool will indicate whether it is a 6/66 (WP-879) or 7/77 (WP-890). Bail stoppers can be found on eBay, generally used, occasionally new. The bail plate is near impossible to find if that is the problem. My only suggestion is to continue looking for a bail plate (part# 8734) as one will occasionally surface there. Because they are so hard to come by, most people that have an extra won't part with it.       
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

billgulledge

First, thanks for your prompt response.  I have searched in vain through all the repair and parts sites/shops and have not found anyone that even knows what the part is.  Everyone just says "they don't make parts for those reels anymore."
The little ear on the bail stopper that protrudes through spool shroud is definitely broken off from the main body of the bail stopper. I can wiggle it with my finger. How do I tell if my reel is a 4, 6 or 7 based on appearance or dimensions, so I can correctly identify the required part number.
Other than an ebay search, do you have any suggestions for locating a replacement bail stopper, once I zero in on the correct part number?
Thanks again.

billgulledge

Sorry, I just reread your response and see that you have identified my reel as a 6/66 or 7/77 and directed me to the spool to decide which. I'll read more carefuly next time.

happyhooker

Welcome to the site, bge, from Minnesota, USA.  Don't give up on the reels; they're worth some effort to get right.

Frank

harryk3616

try   dolfi  kalm for cardinal parts,   319-   535-1019       or   dbjkalm@century link.com         good luck he was my go to guy for cardinal parts.     harryk

Midway Tommy

Let us know which one it is when you've figured it out. It looks like a 6/66 to me but photos can be deceiving, especially when there's 3/16" difference in spool diameters, 2 3/8' vs 2 9/16".

Also, take the bail stopper out and remove the bail plate, and take a photo of them so we can see what's going on. Make sure you photo the back side of the bail plate where the notch is.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Once you determine for sure which reel you have — and also determine the issue with photos of front and back, and damaged part — I may have the part you need.

Should have some of those —

We are out of town for a few more days, up in Lake Tahoe — and will not be back to the shop until earliest Tuesday — depending on weather conditions.

Hopefully, another member would have what you need, also.  Need some pics.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Here is one on eBay currently with an $8.50 BIN — it is for a "7".

Didn't check further — but there may be others on the Bay for different models.

Another way to go is with a parts reel, or a partial reel with the part you need.  These are generally fairly reasonable.  

Since this part rarely fails —parts reels have a good chance of an intact part to get your reel back fishing.

Will still check my parts reels, new and used bins, to see what I might have that could help you.

Not until at least Tuesday.

With the prices of parts for these Zebco/ABU Cardinals — I am now wondering if I should just disassemble all of my partial Cardinals — clean the parts up — and sell them one at a time on eBay?  

I would keep my personal reels — but sell off the 2 or 3 full tubs of parts, and partial reels — after disassembly and cleaning.  About half new parts, half used parts.  Could be more trouble and effort than it is worth, though.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Assuming you already got the part, Bill — or have it ordered...since you have not posted a photo measurement ID as of yet — so that is good...

Here is likely what you need.

Let us know if you still need it — or have it covered.

Thanks.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

harryk3616

good  morning  fred,  did you get my message about cardinal parts?    have a great day, take care,  harryk

foakes

Yes, I did, Harry —

As you know, been traveling, and out of town for 4 days.  Just returned yesterday.

Today, the sun is out, skies are blue — hopefully Summer is here soon.  We basically had no Spring — and if you can believe it — the Ski Resorts in Lake Tahoe are still operating (Heavenly, Squaw, and North Star).

I am officially weary of Winter.  It has hung on so long, that it will make Summer very quick.  Good thing is all of the water we have received to help relieve some of the fire danger.  Some of the places that I generally backpack into during Summer months — will not be easily accessible until August or September.

The trans-Sierra passes are still not open (Tioga, Ebbetts, Sonora, etc.). Even Kaiser Pass is still being cleared by plowing and blowing done by Southern California Edison & the Forest Service.

Should be excellent fishing this year.

Let me know what Cardinal parts you could use, Harry.  If I have them, I will send them your way.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.