Daiwa Seagate Series

Started by fishscales, May 24, 2019, 06:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishscales

I've been lurking this site for 10+ years and I'm finally making a post!
I recently bought a new Daiwa Seagate 35H http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/seagate_sd/index.html to try my hand at slow pitch jigging. I was wondering if anyone might have some insight on any bushings or other parts I should swap before it sees heavy action.
I don't expect it to get very frequent use (maybe twice a month) but I will push this reel, and its drag to its limits. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Cor

Welcome to this site, I'm sure you will like it here.
I've often looked at this reel having been a long time Daiwa fan.

It looks very similar to a Saltist, but lighter which to me is a big plus.   
It's got a very high speed retrieve.

My comment to your question would be to rather first fish it as is, before considering making modifications.   There nothing wrong with bushes in place of bearings, they work pretty much as well as bearings with a lot less hassle and expense.

I've not had this reel in my hand so can't comment more.
Cornelis

happyhooker

Greetings, fish, from Minnesota, USA.  Good luck with the new reel.

Frank

alantani

It's a pretty standard teardown and rebuild.  They're nice reels!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bubba.Gritz

I just purchased a Daiwa Seagate Star Drag 6.4:1 SGT35H for light jigging.  First thing I did was tore it down, cleaned off factory grease, and coated metal internals with Penn blue grease for lubrication but also protection from salt.  Typically encounter "smaller" 20-30lb jacks off head boats off NC (Crystal Coast area -- Morehead City to Emerald Isle, NC).  Internal gears, bearings, drag, etc., looked good.  Will upgrade handle to a Gomexus power knob.  Have paired with a 6ft heavy Cedros E-Glass jigging rod (CJ-C-601Ha).  Spooled reel with 65lb Daiwa J-Braid multicolor w/15-20ft of 80lb mono (at least when fishing for jacks). Will see how well the rig holds up over time and report back.  FWIW // Joel (piedmont area of NC)

alantani

i think you'll do fine. the most important thing with these reels is the initial tear down and lube.  otherwise, they will eventually seize up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!