Were Penn reels shipped already lubed ?

Started by Crow, May 28, 2019, 05:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Reason for asking is I just tore down my third Penn that was "bone dry"...no lube, at all. 1st one, a couple years ago, was a 501, but, was obviously a "home made " one, as it had a 500 headplate....on that one, the asbestos (or whatever it was)drags showed no signs of every having "slipped" spool was "like new"...doubt it ever had line on it, but not one speck of grease, or oil...and no signs there ever WAS any . 2nd was an 85, and it, too, looked like it had had little, or no, use...dry as a bone!. And today, I tore down a 149...which had seen some use...probably fresh water, and had some old , pink (Probably Ande) line about as thick as a hay rope, on it, but...except for "oil soaked" drag washers (which had turned to mush)...not a speck of grease, on anything. So, were they shipped "dry", and the owner was supposed o actually USE the little tube of lube I the box ? I see lots of those "lube tubes" on e-bay, so, maybe folks just didn't use 'em ? I'll admit, most of the reels I've torn down showed LOTS of use (abuse!), lots of wear & tear, and enough grease for three reels....and most showed signs of being "apart", several times (at least from the condition of the screwheads!), but these three (probably the three "nicest" reels I've gotten) have me kinda' wondering !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

They were ready to fish right out of the box without having to oil them first.
-steve