HT 100 drag washers in a Penn 109

Started by swede 53, May 28, 2019, 06:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swede 53

A friend asked me to work on some spinning reels he had been given by a relative and when i finished he handed me a 109 and 209,said he didn't use baitcasters and i could have them.They work fine but the 109 needed new drags so i got the HT 100s but they are thicker and i can't get it back together,any suggestions would be appreciated,not many Penn reels in this part of Wis.and nobody including myself knows much about them.

Gfish

Welcome Swede 53!
Which HT 100's did you get? The 109 takes 3 of 'em - part # 6 - 155.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Swede!

The 109 & 209 both use the same HT-100 (CF) drag washers.

(3) CF's, (3) metal discs, and a spring washer on top of the stack.

Not all of the (6) drag washers fit in the gear cavity —

From the bottom —

Lightly Cal's greased CF
Keyed metal washer
Lightly Cal's greased CF
Eared metal washer (typically the last washer that will sit flush in the gear, next (2) will be above the gear)
Lightly Cal's greased CF
Keyed metal washer
Then the spring washer on top of these (6).

I have never had an issue with these fitting — unless the eared washer #4 — is not in the gear side grooves.  This one typically sits flush with the top of the gear — with the ears in the grooves.

It looks as if they will not fit since the top washers are above the gear — but it all works as designed.

Good reels — I have worked on hundreds of these.

Let us know how you do — and if further help is needed...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swede 53

I did get the 6-155 washers,used the original metal ones,i could only get it together if i left the spring washer out,i will tear it down and try again when i get home,the 209 looks like it has never been spooled up,i stripped the old line off the 109 put on 15# mono and put it on my catfish rod with a 2 ounce wt.and cast out into my field,it did way better than i expected,these are real pieces of machinery,Thanks for the knowledge and the schematic,will let you know how it comes out.

Swami805

Any chance the old washer is still stuck in the bottom of the gear?  Sometimes they get so smashed in there they almost look like part of the gear. Shot in the dark
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: swede 53 on May 28, 2019, 07:12:37 PM
       I did get the 6-155 washers,used the original metal ones,i could only get it together if i left the spring washer out.

This is not uncommon. Those old original leather washers are thinner than the HT-100s, even when the leathers are brand new. Sometimes the new washers will work fine without the spring washer...as they have a good bit of "squish" to them. Later after they flatten you can put the spring washer back into the stack. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swede 53

Got everything back together and its working fine,don't know if i let the eared washer get out of place when i rotated the post to put the anti reverse spring in or i flattened the washers out casting and retrieving that weight out into the mud,i know i'm getting better at putting that worm gear shield back in place.Thanks everyone for the help,this is a great website,glad i was able to hookup.

Ron Jones

Glad you got it put together. How is the drag performance now that it is assembled? And Welcome!
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swede 53

The drag is smooth now and has a range of adjustment,the old washers were stuck on the metal ones,i had to use a box knife to get them off it had sat in a closet for 20 years.The eared washer barely sits in the slots and i may have been letting them get out of place putting the anti reverse spring in.I followed the sequence Fred posted,it made it much easier,also used the Cal's grease,hope to give it a real test when work slows down here shortly,thanks again to everyone.