sakura angel 33

Started by joe k, May 28, 2019, 06:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe k

does anybody have any knowledge  or better yet a schematic on an old sakura angel 33 reel someone just gave me..looks to be in good shape..just handle hits star drag ..suppose to be a washer or some kind of sleeve in between?..any replys back appreciated..Joe

philaroman

the base/foot looks like some kind of pivoting reel (aka, sidecaster... oldest Olympic, Alvey, etc.) -- retrieves conventional; pivots 90* to cast like a spinner (or, maybe, spincaster)...  w/ reel mounted, see if there's a way to pivot the whole reel, to point the "tail plate" toward the guides

pretty sure some of those 50's/60's Japanese wood-boxed split-cane kits were Sakura & I think Japanese sidecaters were dying out around same time, and getting more features slapped on as a last-ditch effort

if that's what it is, it's a VERY unusual one (star!!!) -- be gentle, until you know more... 

philaroman

OR  ??? 

maybe it's some kind of weirdness that pivots 180*, for L/H  ???

oc1

If it were a side-caster the line would have to come out through the tail plate and there's no hole for that. 

If it turns completely around for left or right hand then the anti-reverse has to work backward as well as forward.  Maybe that lever on the head plate shifts the AR dog.

Maybe it pops off the stand for transport/storage.

Whatever it is, I want one.
-steve

joe k

i put 2 stainless washers on handle shaft/main gear ..between handle and star drag..works great ..will post more pics later.. ...will have to take photos of internal gear disassembly for sure..post when done..always looking for some input on this reel..Joe

philaroman

what does the weird contraption at the foot do  ???  gotta' be somethin'

joe k

you pull spring loaded pin back and the foot can turn to 9;00 position or 12;00 position...and the big chrome spool on side can adjust to different opening positions..Will post pics in near future..joe

philaroman

OK, so it's a late Japanese pivoting reel, like I thought...  couldn't figure out how the line comes out, from the photos you posted so far

Quote from: oc1 on May 29, 2019, 06:32:21 AM
If it were a side-caster the line would have to come out through the tail plate and there's no hole for that.

guessing, when you pivot to cast, it becomes like a spincaster without a cone or pick-up pins