Reels from China?

Started by Ultramatrix, May 28, 2019, 09:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultramatrix

Hi everyone,

While searching for reals online I came across some reels from China. Please before anyone start bashing China and made in China products. At least give it a chance. Has anyone purchased any of these reels and did a taredown?

I saw reels made or sold by different vendors.

There's these lurekiller reel I saw on YouTube. And on eBay and amazon. Under $150.

Also these 2 speed reel. With no name and also gomexus 2 speed trolling reels.

Anyone have any experience with these reels?

One of them advertised as cnc stainless steel gear and shaft and some are brass shaft.

Spinning -

2 speed reel -

Spinning  -

Spinning -

conchydong

They may work fine......for a while. If there isn't a mechanism in place to get parts in the future, than it is a gamble. Just my opinion. Most of my reels are 20-30+ years old and I can still obtain parts for them.

RowdyW

That blue & silver Lurekiller is NOT a Saltist. I bought a 11000 to use as a trolly reel from the beach & pier for $32.00. When it breaks I'll just trash it. Lots of plastic & die cast metal.         Rudy

sabaman1

Proof would be to give them a try on some big game, hard fighting fish like bluefin tuna, or large yellowfin even a big shark or two and the abuse of repeated saltwater trips where the reels get wet. I would be concerned with parts and warranty also.
JIM

bill19803

I made the mistake  of  buying one  of  those    made in  china   50  w reel   Nothing  but  a nightmare.  Drag   went    from  not  much  to lock   down  in   about    1/4 inch on lever. Exterior  parts   started  rusting    first  trip   stainless they  were  not.  Just plain  carbon steel.  Drag locked  up    solid   when  put into  gear the   smallest  amount.   Couldnt get   consistant  drag   settings.  One  time high  next  low  Kept  taking  it  back  and back  and back  but a  200  mile  round  trip each  time. Finally  lost  my patience   and  sold  it to  a guy  who  doesnt take  care of his gear  at  all.  Hes happy   with it locked  down permanently    and  i  bought  an   atd  80 .   
Ya  get  what  you  pay   for pretty  much   especially  in  the  new equipment market.

Ultramatrix

Quote from: RowdyW on May 28, 2019, 11:08:06 PM
That blue & silver Lurekiller is NOT a Saltist. I bought a 11000 to use as a trolly reel from the beach & pier for $32.00. When it breaks I'll just trash it. Lots of plastic & die cast metal.         Rudy

Picture?

Ultramatrix

Quote from: bill19803 on May 29, 2019, 03:29:30 AM
I made the mistake  of  buying one  of  those    made in  china   50  w reel   Nothing  but  a nightmare.  Drag   went    from  not  much  to lock   down  in   about    1/4 inch on lever. Exterior  parts   started  rusting    first  trip   stainless they  were  not.  Just plain  carbon steel.  Drag locked  up    solid   when  put into  gear the   smallest  amount.   Couldnt get   consistant  drag   settings.  One  time high  next  low  Kept  taking  it  back  and back  and back  but a  200  mile  round  trip each  time. Finally  lost  my patience   and  sold  it to  a guy  who  doesnt take  care of his gear  at  all.  Hes happy   with it locked  down permanently    and  i  bought  an   atd  80 .   
Ya  get  what  you  pay   for pretty  much   especially  in  the  new equipment market.

Picture?

philaroman

very pretty, but some reels are not meant to catch fish...
they're meant to catch cheap fishermen  :o

conchydong

Ultramix, Are you affiliated with these reels in any way? I think you should post in the Welcome section of the forum and tell us a little about yourself. That is the place for us to welcome you to the site.

Scott

oc1

Reels made in China get a bad rap.  However, China is beginning to feel the pinch of a higher standard of living and, thus, higher costs of production just like in the West.  Chinese companies are doing most of their reel manufacturing in Indonesia and Malaysia now.  Mainland China, Taiwan, Korea and, indeed, most Asian countries are completely capable of producing a higher quality reel if the consumer were willing to pay for it.

What the hobby needs is a return to good old-fashioned elitism where only the rich can afford the equipment and time to go fishing  :)
-steve

The Fishing Hobby

Country of origin isn't the problem typically. The problem is the company backing the production/quality control and being able to obtain replacement parts as needed. Daiwa makes reels in China and my kids have 2 of them. They work fine and I can get genuine Daiwa parts if I need to. I don't think "Gomexus" and "Lurekiller" parts are going to be readily available.

Tile

I have to say that some chinese reels are well designed. The build quality on them is ok-ish but some areas leave a bit to be desired. I bought a Camekoon WT4000 spinning reel. Its design is well done but there are some minor imperfections in the build quality but not sufficient to detract from its functionality. For instance the sideplate screws I replaced with some left over from my first frame mod on my GTO 220, cleaned and greased the internals and reassembled correctly the drag stack which surprisingly had carbonfiber washers.

I was surprised that the pinion gear, oscillating gear and crosswind block are made of stainless steel, the main gear is made of bronze, The stainless alloy and bronze may not be of premium quality but are far superior then brass and pot metal used in 95% of spinners today.

I took some pics showing the internals of my Camekoon WT400
In solid fiberglass we trust

Cor

I keep a record of my reels service & repair history.   Some reels have over 200 entries.   I did not date my final comment, but remember it was very corroded.

BANNEX ZEST 100

5-Apr-08
Bought this tiny chinese reel for squid for $30
Loaded some 12lb line, had a cast with a 25 gr sinker and it worked well
Its got some features of a more expensive reel, and works well.
Will it last?
7-Dec-08   
How do you open it?
prize" it appart!   Not good.
Right side plate "twists" off.

This is and has always been a "LOUSY" reel
~ T H E  E N D ~
Cornelis

Tile

As far as I know Banax is a south korean company with decent products. My first multiplier is a Banax OW7300 which so far served me well and not excluding that they may have some lemons as all the other makers fishing tackle.
In solid fiberglass we trust

nelz

Quote from: Tile on April 15, 2020, 08:24:39 PMAs far as I know Banax is a south korean company with decent products. My first multiplier is a Banax OW7300 which so far served me well and not excluding that they may have some lemons as all the other makers fishing tackle.

I've heard good things about Banax. I believe they made the older Millionaires for Daiwa (or was it vice-versa?).