Marking Spectra?

Started by Fishy247, May 29, 2019, 05:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy247

I'm trying to figure out how to mark spectra for depth, preferably in 10' increments. Can I just use a sharpie or is that going to weaken it?

Thanks,
Mike

conchydong

You can mark it without hurting the line but it will be a lot of work and eventually wear off. Tuf-line Guide's Choice indicator changes color every 10 feet and is made by the same mill as Jerry Brown.

Dominick

Just mark it Mike.  Do it on the boat.  Use a bright color.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Fishy247

Good to know it won't hurt it. Thank you gentlemen!

I was thinking just black because it's white line. Would red be better? I'll be using it for flatfalls at night probably.

alantani

Wipe it down as best you can after. The ink can bleed badly. Jerry Brown "decade" hollow core braid changes color ever 10 yards.  That might be an option.  Otherwise,  get a sharpie and mark away!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishy247

QuoteWipe it down as best you can after. The ink can bleed badly. Jerry Brown "decade" hollow core braid changes color ever 10 yards.  That might be an option.  Otherwise,  get a sharpie and mark away!

Good to know. I'll probably just do like Dom suggested and do it on the boat. probably on the way out.

Thanks for all the replies!

MarkT

I'd just mark it in 60' increments for dropping flat falls at night.  The captain usually says he's marking fish at 60', 120', 180', etc because their fish finder is set to fathoms, not feet.  I put a couple stakes in my backyard 60' apart then pull line to the far stake, back to the close one then back to the far one.  That'll give me three marks at 60/120/180... done!  When you drop, count how long it takes until you see the next mark so you can just count down to any in between depth or depths greater than 180.  I use 6" black marks on my white spectra to see them easier at night.  You can put one mark at 60, 2 at 120 and 3 at 180 incase you lose count on the way down.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Fishy247

QuoteYou can put one mark at 60, 2 at 120 and 3 at 180 incase you lose count on the way down.

I like that idea. I didn't know they had their depthfinders set to fathoms. The few times I've done the flatfall thing, they called out the depth in feet. I'll have to pay attention to see if he's calling it out in multiples of 6....

conchydong

If you are fishing at night you can always tie some nail knots with lighter spectra on the increments you choose, that way you can feel it in low light conditions. That is commonly used in Swordfishing.

SoCalAngler

One pull from the reel to stripper guide is about 3'. Just count the pulls to depth you want. Really not hard to do, if you have a basic understanding of math.

Fishy247

Up here in Santa Cruz, we mooch for salmon, so I'm no stranger to pulling it off a foot at a time... ;)

oc1

Quote from: conchydong on May 29, 2019, 11:29:26 PM
If you are fishing at night you can always tie some nail knots with lighter spectra on the increments you choose, that way you can feel it in low light conditions. That is commonly used in Swordfishing.
Instead of a nail knot, I use light spectra to tie indicators on with what would be considered half of a uni-to-uni knot.  Eight wraps and trim the two tag ends.  It stays in place even when cast through the guides, but can be adjusted by sliding it along the main line.  I like being able to feel the indicator as it goes by without looking.

I usually use moss green Power Pro.  Black marking pen on dark green spectra disappears fairly quickly.  Maybe it would remain visible on white or yellow spectra.

-steve

theswimmer

Spectra can and will be degraded by any solvent , of such a Sharpie has to keep the ink liquid.
As a climber and rigger with over 35 years experience we see failures at the worst times.
I have personally seen 2 failures right where names were written on Spectra slings .  As a climber I have also observed extreme degradation on 5 mm cord where marked with a Sharpie. Not a good thing where that piece of pro may be the only thing protecting you from a 60 foot whipper.....
Not my choice for marking Spectra or Kevlar .
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

mrwilson99

Mine are marked with a Sharpie every 100 yards.
David

boon

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 30, 2019, 03:24:37 AM
One pull from the reel to stripper guide is about 3'. Just count the pulls to depth you want. Really not hard to do, if you have a basic understanding of math.

Sometimes we target fish sitting in over 300ft, you would be there for a while hand-stripping it.

Coloured braid is your friend on this one. On heavy setups for a temporary marker we've even used a small rubber band before.