Tld 15-extra parts?

Started by Sscoville, May 31, 2019, 06:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sscoville

I inherited a tld 15 and took it apart to clean. Putting it back together, I seem to have parts not shown on the schematics.

One is what looks like a drag washer that was inside the cooling shield. The others are small three small copper washers and a brass bearing? These are all in the top right of the second photo?

RowdyW

The part that looks like a drag washer IS a drag washer. It is clamped tight when the cooling shield is screwed down tight. The copper washers are in the schematic. Some are on the end nearest the left housing & the others are on both sides of the thrust washers.          Rudy

Sscoville

That picture did not orient the way I expected. The top left has the washers I cannot place and the brass piece.

Sscoville

http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/shimano/Shimano_TLD_15__98.pdf

In this schematic I only count 7 washers/spacers on the main shaft. I have 8.

exp2000

This is the standard configuration.
~

RowdyW

Try going to the Shimano Tutorial & Question section for the complete rebuild by Alan T. in 2008.

Gfish

If That's the original drag washer, (they mighta called it "Dartainium") a good upgrade is the carbon-tex version from "Smooth Drag" in the "for sale section" here. My 15 got a saltwater bath and wouldn't function properly(esp. the drag) until I found that tutorial by Allen here and was able to get cleaned-up and back together, almost on the first try!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

conchydong

The standard drags washers for the single speed TLDs  that I have always seen were the white canvas types. It may be some after market fiber but it doesn't look like regular carbon fiber to me.

Sscoville

It has one of those in there too. And that's why I asked. In Alan's tutorial and everything I've seen online, it's just the white canvas one that is being changed for a carbon fiber one. The grey one I have was stuck to the inside of the plastic piece that unscrews.

Bryan Young

The remaining thrust washers are placed around the spool bearing to properly shim the spool bearings. The thicker washer in the attached photo goes between the right spool bearing and the spring followed by the pressure plate bearing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Shimano did some playing around with the TLD 5, 10 and 15. The stock drag washers were in fact canvas and many people replaced them with carbon fiber washers. Maybe someone slipped one in that reel without taking the canvas washer out?

Many years ago I asked questions about the TLD 15 I have. My reel which is fully stock, I replaced the canvas washer with a carbon fiber one. I also did the belleville change. Here is where it gets a bit weird. The c-clips that act like a bearing sleeve do not exist in my reel. Not even the machined groves are on the spool shaft where those c-clips are supposed to go. The reel I have has a true one piece sleeve instead of those clips. Design change on later models? I don't know but that is how my TLD 15 came.

I don't know where that post is anymore or I'd post a link. It also seems to me that Shimano also played around with those small copper washers to get the fit correct on the spool shaft. I have seen some reels with more or less. Why is this I don't know? Maybe do the frames not being the exact same size since they are composite and are not machined? I'm not sure why but I have seen a couple of different configs with those washers in these reels.

braz13

The small washers and spacer look very similar to the ones found on early TLD 5's, never seen them on a 15, I've attached the TLD 5 schematic for reference.

The two larger washers look similar to the two spacer washers either side of the ratchet pawl.

Gfish

This one is pretty interesting. Could it be that the extra drag washer was added to the stock "canvas" one to better align the spool shaft?
I had the "tilting to the right" problem( excess free-spool friction when reel was tilted toward the head-plate side) and a spool shaft spacer(AKA, a "bearing sleeve")corrected it...

Great reel IMO, for a model with a graphite frame.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

I think that the dark colored washer is there as a heat shield to dissapate the heat from the metal drag plate and protect the drag cover from heat. It is on the opposite side of the drag plate so it has nothing to do with adding drag.

Sscoville

I tried following Bryan's instructions about and used the tld 5 schematics as a guide as well and managed to put it together with no leftover parts. Seems to function as it should. So with the rod oriented with the large bearing to the left, following the c clip I i a small copper washer; small bearing, small copper washer, spring, small copper washer, thick brass washer, followed by the pressure plate assembly etc.