DIY jungle Bamboo Gaff

Started by steelfish, May 31, 2019, 07:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Alex, that gaff is very nice. Great work my friend !

Donnyboat

Absolutely brilliant Alex, I would not use it either, definitely a wall hanger, as they say above & beyond, well worth waiting 2 years for it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

twotone

twotone

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 02, 2019, 02:40:42 AM
... well worth waiting 2 years for it.

Well it was around one year only but I get the idea , thanks
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on June 01, 2019, 01:10:04 AM
Hamachi ceviche...and fresh too.  Living large Alex.  Dominick

I dont like fancy restaurants for hamachi sashimi or ceviche and that one on the pic was "all you can eat" feast buffet of sashimi and ceviche table, that would be really expesive on a nice San Diego beach restaurant.

check this one also, ceviche of fresh caught Scallops

The Baja Guy

conchydong

Alex, you have become a master of reel repair, rod building, fishing and fine cuisine. Keep up the great work.

Scott

steelfish

well, seems like the gaff is working as intended, according to my friend he used the gaff in an average of 30yt and some groupers so far, btw, I re-built that fishing rod too  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23987.0

PS: I was saving this last info for the last, one of the deckhands dropped the gaff to the water  :-\ yep, just how you read it!!  but it floats with 100% bouyancy, so, no problem at all, logically the metal hook was under the water but at least 1/3rd of the bamboo section was above the water, my friend told me his heart stopped for few seconds until he saw the gaff coming back to the surface  ;D

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

Sweet!
Nice save by your friend.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Hey Alex, are those the snake guides I sent you on that rod? If so, very cool! If not, great work on rod and gaff!!!

John

steelfish

those are not that guides you sent me John, yours are long gone on another rod for a good friend.

the guides on the rod on the last pic are still on production from PacBay and local captains liked them a lot, I have built and restored many rods changing the normal chrome boat guides and installing the TW spiral guides from PacBay, they are truly shockproof but mostly "fool proof" and perfect for loaner rod.

BTW the hook is still going strong, I have my doubts on the durability but seems that is doing fine for a charter use.
as my man Sheridan said, its pretty cool to see your creations working as they should.

here a customer of my friend with a nice pink Baqueta grouper
The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

You might be interested in this video on how to make a cheap gaff.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Benni3

That's very cool looking and it works great,,,,,,, 8) and a fantastic day fishing,,,,,,,,, ;D