Installing Ultimate Upgrade 5+ on G440T, is this under gear washer correct?

Started by Recoil Rob, May 31, 2019, 11:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Thanks, I have an early G440 that has an aluminum handle and stainless lever and clicker. It's NIB so I haven't opened it, I'll have to check.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

And I have one very rare 338 with a double dog. Sorry not for sale.

Dwight

Snookkatcher

Great timely thread to find! I'm replacing the drag in a P1440F, using the Ultimate Upgrade kit as shown in a post above. My questions are, where does the smaller diameter thicker domed washer go?
Also, does this setup get installed greased or dry, and if greased, what gets greased?  Thanks!
'This River don't go to Aintry....'

Recoil Rob

I greased all the washers, worked a nice coat into the CF's and then wiped my fingers on the stainless ones.

The domed metal (belleville) washer is to replace the original, it goes atop the last SS, open side down, it spreads the force to the center of the SS washer. You might have to play with that vs the original belleville. One of my setups did better with the original.
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Snookkatcher

OK, thanks RE: greasing the washers. My old ones were greased; the tutorial on the 220 only mentioned greasing the bottom washer under the gear. I didn't want to mess up a brand new drag setup by greasing it if it wasn't supposed to be greased. The Belleville washer I 'm going to have to ream out slightly to get it to go all the way down the shaft the washers are on... there in a slight step up of the corners where the bottom section of threads ends. I don't think the old stack had a Belleville washer on it. I laid everything out in the order I took them off, and the only keyed washer that fit the shaft down to the drag washers was thin and flat, and a little smaller in diameter than the replacement. Gonna give it some careful hand filing to fit down to the washers. Thank you for the info! 😊👍
'This River don't go to Aintry....'

Recoil Rob

May want to wait until Bryan or Newell Guy chime in before filing anything. One thing I have learned is that Newell would occasionally use extra parts that were on hand, they don't always match up with the diagrams. All 3 of my reels needed to have the washers on top of the stack, between handle/star tweaked to get a good range. but once you have it right they are smooth!
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

Quote from: Snookkatcher on July 28, 2019, 07:00:43 PM
OK, thanks RE: greasing the washers. My old ones were greased; the tutorial on the 220 only mentioned greasing the bottom washer under the gear. I didn't want to mess up a brand new drag setup by greasing it if it wasn't supposed to be greased. The Belleville washer I 'm going to have to ream out slightly to get it to go all the way down the shaft the washers are on... there in a slight step up of the corners where the bottom section of threads ends. I don't think the old stack had a Belleville washer on it. I laid everything out in the order I took them off, and the only keyed washer that fit the shaft down to the drag washers was thin and flat, and a little smaller in diameter than the replacement. Gonna give it some careful hand filing to fit down to the washers. Thank you for the info! 😊👍

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some trouble.  But first, all of the Carbontex drag washers should be greased with a drag grease, such as Cal's Universal and Drag Grease, Tan or Purple (whichever one you have). Now to your troubles. How does the keyed and eared metal washer fit?  If the fit the gear sleeve, it's strange that the Belleville washer doesn't slide down the gear sleeve as well. It's okay to ream it out slightly. If you mess it up, I can always send you a replacement. But first, please measure the diameter of the gear sleeve and the ID of the Belleville washer. I may have a replacement for you. Please let me know. Thanks, Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Some of the early reels were made without a beveled washer. It was replaced by making the drag spacer with a built in larger flat side to press against the drag stack. I have only seen this in 200 series though. The drag spacer had to placed into the side plate from the inside before installing the bridge system.

A 440 should have a beveled washer. What kind of drag spacer do you have? Is it straight with no flange on it?

Dwight