Stuffed Saddle of Rabbit and Bacon Wrapped Wino Rabbit

Started by ChileRelleno, June 02, 2019, 07:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Yesterday while at one of my favorite local butcher shops, picking out some tasty sausages, I picked out a fat young rabbit.

Bacon Wrapped Wino Rabbit
I removed the fore and hind legs and set them to marinating in:
2C Red wine
.5C Honey
1/8C chopped Parsley
1/8C chopped Rosemary
2T Lemon zest
2T salt
1 Bay leaf
Combine all in a small sauce pan and bring to a slow boil.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Add legs and marinade together in a Ziploc and marinate for 6-12 hours.

They were then wrapped in bacon and fried in olive oil and butter to crisp the bacon, and then transferred to the 375° oven with the Stuffed Saddle to finish.

My younger son plated his with some carrots started laughing, he said, "Now this is ironic."

Stuffed Saddle of Rabbit
After removing the legs I separated the saddle and deboned it.
I then cleaned up all the meat of the carcass and minced it, then set it aside for stuffing.
The minced rabbit was browned in butter with celery, onion and parsley.
Then combined with some bread crumbs, whisked egg, rabbit stock, milk and salt.

The rest of the carcass was put into a small sauce pan and I made a stock for a gravy and the stuffing.
Brown the pieces in butter, add minced celery, onion, carrot and a little parsley and rosemary, saute till veggies are tender.
Add 2C of water and bring to a fast simmer, simmer for several hours.
Strain and reduce, add a little more butter and salt to taste.
Add a little cornstarch to thicken.

I laid down bacon and fresh basil, upon this the boneless saddle.
Seasoned with some fresh ground garlic/pepper medley, and then the stuffing.
Rolled it all up and trussed it with twine.

This roll was fried in olive oil and butter to crisp the bacon and then transferred to the 375° oven with the Wino Rabbit to finish.

Both the Saddle and Wino were cooked to a minimum 160° IT.

The Stuffed Saddle was sliced and served with the gravy.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

looks wonderful Chilli.  When my wife and I were first married back in 73 we had a rabbit farm just up the road, my wife became an expert at cooking salmon, rabbit and beans, not all together mind you, those were just the main ingredients we had a bounty of.  salmon were free at the river, beans are well you know, and I could get a whole rabbit for $2 bucks.
never would have thought about cooking it like this,
about a year ago I saw whole rabbit in my local meat market so I thought for old times sake id pick one up, boy was I surprised when I got to the register to check out, that Rabbit was $70.00!

ChileRelleno

$70.00?!  :o

These run $4. per lb, a little pricey but not too horrible.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

I thought so too, I told them a beef tenderloin was cheaper than that and they could keep their golden rabbit.