FREE CorrosionX Grease Samples

Started by Bohdisattva, June 03, 2019, 03:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bohdisattva

Hiya Mike-

Good to read that Corrosion X Grease is doing well for ya.

Yes, please let us know how it works out for you with time.

Cheers

bhale1

hello Ohana,
A while ago Marv (Bohdisattva), sent me a sample of CorrosionX. In return, I would like to offer up a quick review ;D
Keep in mind that I live inland, and am fairly new to tearing down reels and rebuilding them. I grew up fishing for Bass and Trout, so I mostly just pulled small spinners and baitcasters apart and dropped in a little oil. (Yes, now they get full service) ;D

So, now as a full fledged "newbie", I can take a squidder, JM, and others apart fairly easy.
I usually clean with SG,followed by warm soap and water. I use Penn Blue, ReelX, and TSI321 for lubes. I was interested in CorosionX, due to its reported abilities to prevent corrosion.......
I wanted to test that. I decided to coat different metals with each grease, and submerge in salt water. Well, lets just say, I'm no scientist!
Made the sulution from an internet formula...seemed real salty.....I got this.... :)

so first the samples,

from L-R...Aluminum, steel, copper, brass, and SS
Each piece cleaned and scuffed with Scotch Brite. Taped in middle, then coated with each grease. Small holes drilled in CorrosionX side.

I then submerged them in the salt water for 24 hrs. Pulled them out and set in sun. not much corrosion, so misted them multiple time with a salt, Hydrogen peroxide mix. (still not going as well as i hoped).....waited another day and wiped them off with paper towels to inspect.

Did not go as well as i wished, but i plan on doing a few things different and try again. I want to rough them up better with a flap disk on my angle grinder. Then, maybe research a better salt water recipe...or bring a gallon home with me from San Diego next month ;D
A few other observations, the CorrosionX seemed to "spread" a little easier to coat the pieces...although not by much. I also mixed some ReelX oil with each, and it seemed to blend a little better, but not enough to really matter to me.
If you look closely at the last couple pics you can see a little more corrosion where the Penn didnt stick as well.
I will come up with a better test soon.
Thanks again Marv,
Brett

Crow

I just sent for a tube, so I'm pretty interested in your test !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bohdisattva

Bhale1/Brett-

Wow!  I'd say your taking this grease sample test a couple of steps higher...EXCELLENT (in the words of Bill and Ted).

Please continue on letting us know your findings  :)

Aloha and Mahalo,
M

bhale1

Marv,
So I talked with a few consultants (my daughters..lol,,) and said I needed a more realistic plan,,,,These kids nowadays seem to know way more than me ??? . So, new plan is this. Clean and prep new samples for the test. Secure them in some sort of plastic container, transport them to San Diego 2 Saturdays from now, submerge them in saltwater obtained fresh from the beach, let them sit in it for the entire week,drain water and transport back to AZ. Then after sitting a few days check the results....stay tuned ;D
Brett

mrwilson99

I had a chance to use the grease and I would say it feels thinner than cal's grease. The grease does not smell like cal's grease and I will be taking the reel out fishing, so will report back to see how it holds up against grease.

Thanks again!
David

xjchad

Quote from: bhale1 on July 09, 2019, 04:10:43 AM
Marv,
So I talked with a few consultants (my daughters..lol,,) and said I needed a more realistic plan,,,,These kids nowadays seem to know way more than me ??? . So, new plan is this. Clean and prep new samples for the test. Secure them in some sort of plastic container, transport them to San Diego 2 Saturdays from now, submerge them in saltwater obtained fresh from the beach, let them sit in it for the entire week,drain water and transport back to AZ. Then after sitting a few days check the results....stay tuned ;D
Brett

Hope you're going fishing while you're in SD Brett!  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

handi2

It was last year or maybe the year before but I talked to a local dealer that gave me a great price on a case of the tubes. I used it for one month and quit using it. After a while it looks terrible. That's my only reason. I used most of it on my boat trailers and boat lifts.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reelmeneer

I recieved the sample as wel. Used it on my abu 4601c3. First opinion was that is a lot more sticky than the grease i usually take. (Kroon grease and Kroon oil).

After using the reel for a couple of times I have noticed no difference in usage. Maybe after a while there is some differende. I will let you all know.

Regards,

Ed

tincanary

How does this stuff compare to Yamalube?  I've been using Yamalube for a couple of years now and it always works good.

Bohdisattva

In regards to bhale1/Brett's test, it reminded of this test which was several samples (including Corrosion X) vs Boshield T-9.

oc1

Brett, it seems like things corrode the worse when they get the saltwater exposure that is not washed away and are then left in a damp environment.  The residual salt absorbs moisture from the air so it sort of creates it's own dampness.

It takes a combination of moisture and oxygen for something to corrode.  Total submergence can slow down corrosion because there is less oxygen.

If you drop an outboard motor overboard they say it is best to submerge it in freshwater and just leave it there until the mechanic is ready to crack it open.

-steve