Penn Greenie paint

Started by George6308, June 03, 2019, 11:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George6308

oc1

Wow.  I not a fan of painting them but that's a nice match.
-steve

1badf350

Im with Steve. Its hard to tell sometimes what is original or not.
For me anyway
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

nelz

Quote from: 1badf350 on June 04, 2019, 09:36:23 AMIm with Steve. Its hard to tell sometimes what is original or not. For me anyway

Hey Chris, speaking of paint, so whatever became of that vintage Penn that some guys here were saying was painted? What was the final verdict on that?

1badf350

Quote from: nelz on June 04, 2019, 01:19:36 PM
Quote from: 1badf350 on June 04, 2019, 09:36:23 AMIm with Steve. Its hard to tell sometimes what is original or not. For me anyway

Hey Chris, speaking of paint, so whatever became of that vintage Penn that some guys here were saying was painted? What was the final verdict on that?
There was no question it was original and unpainted.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Midway Tommy

Nice color match but now it'll be Penn spinner collector beware.  :( I hate seeing repainted reels getting out into the collector market.   >:(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Benni3

Just don't think it's durable,,,,,, :(  Baked on epoxy if it was done right,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on June 04, 2019, 05:01:11 PM
now it'll be Penn spinner collector beware.
I thought it was already that way Tommy.  People have been repainting them for fifty years.  Some of the repaint jobs are pretty darn good too. You'd need a spectrophotometer or some high tech forensics to tell the difference.  To make things really confusing, the original factory paint was not only fragile and prone to chipping, the color could weather and change ever so slightly over time.
-steve 

foakes

Most any seasoned reel collector or bait collector — can tell a repaint a mile away — there are many "tells".

The paint will not match the patina of 40 year old paint on a reel that has been in a box or on a shelf.

Or, there will be a subtle line where tape was used, cardboard used to mask spray, paint where it shouldn't be, etc.

And then, there is just "too perfect" of a reel — big tell...

And, let's face it — no one is out to cheat buyers with Mitchell's, DQ's, Penn's, Cardinal's, Shake's, etc..  While these reels are valuable, and will become more so in the future, like everything else old & quality — there is not the big profit temptation to encourage scoundrels.

There is much bigger money to be made in the higher end old reels, rare baits, etc..

The best friend of anyone serious about collecting — and concerned about a repaint — is a UV or Black Light.  Touchups, repaints, flaws, new paint — all become instantly apparent under a black light.  And these devices are very reasonably priced, for a decent one.

There are folks who are experts at just adding a little "antiquing" to a rare bait pattern on an old Heddon lure — to fool some folks.  But knowledgeable collectors will pick these out in a minute.  There are many ways to ID a forgery or repaint — besides the obvious.

When Secret Service Agents are trained to ID counterfeit money — the first thing taught is not all of the examples of forgeries — rather, knowing what an original bill looks like, every tiny hidden detail, and drilling this into their minds — is the first step.  Everything not legitimate — stands out...

For newbies wanting to get into collecting — learning the basics to look for, is key — along with knowing what is original, and what is not.

For user reels — I have no issue with good repaints — providing it is represented as such when a transaction or restoration is made.

The biggest safeguard — is knowing and trusting the integrity of the individual you are dealing with.  A good track record, and multiple solid recommendations is what to look for.

I am glad this paint color is available — thanks for sharing, George!

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

joe k

My input is...if you have original that are not really beat up..keep it that way...unless cracked ,really chipped up,...replacing knobs and handles makes them look good...side plates...?..mostly the emblem replacement ...they are the tanks of the past..little patina doesn't hurt whats inside..only my opinon..Joe

oc1

Quote from: foakes on June 04, 2019, 09:39:33 PM
Or, there will be a subtle line where tape was used, cardboard used to mask spray, paint where it shouldn't be, etc.
Somewhere on the web is a discussion of bead blasting the frame inside and out, mixing paint to get the color match, spraying it and baking.  Not a whole lot different from what the factory did originally.
-steve