Slowest Retrieve That's Still Fishable

Started by Rivverrat, June 04, 2019, 01:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

First shot at it.  This one is stainless steel with a bit of hard silver solder.

Iimg]https://alantani.com/gallery/28/15480_16_06_19_1_04_00_28434703.jpeg[/img]

Some stainless rivets were ordered but have not arrived yet.  So, I punted.  The shaft is threaded at each end with a nut and a drop of red Loctite.

The long side is seldom used until there is a fish on.  I love the short side.  It is so quick to crank that it is almost like getting a faster gear set.  Unlike the tiny double tournament handles from back in the day, you get the quick retrieve but don't have the opposing knob banging your knuckles.

Fishing has been good for most folks, but all I could muster is this little guy

This one is made of PEEK plastic with stainless posts and sleeves.  

PEEK is very rigid and stable.  It machines beautifully but is difficult to file or sand.  This is the "natural" color.

The handles balance on a straight edge at the point where the handle nut is.  However, it would be better if they had dynamic balance.  It's like the difference in balancing your tires with the old-fashioned bubble stand versus the newer machines that spins the tire at high speed to find the dynamic balance.

-steve

mhc

You never fail to impress Steve. Those stainless knobs look great, the 'little' lathe must be pretty solid to make those!

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

That is something I'd love to try on my Ambassadeurs. I love the short handle for fast easy cranking, but hate those early double paddle stock handles. Like Steve said, those small doubles are hard on the knuckles, especially if you have large hands. Great work Steve!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Always an amazing job with your restoration skills!
Would you mind sharing what type of contraption you use as a cutting tool holder?
I know freehand on a tool rest would be impossible.

Thanks Steve!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Ron Jones

I think I'm missing the question. My initial answer is 1:1. I used to fish scampis by letting them rest on the bottom for 30 seconds or so and then reposition about 6 inches. Not a very high rate of retrieve.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 16, 2019, 12:15:31 PM
Would you mind sharing what type of contraption you use as a cutting tool holder?

Thanks Sal.  The little Taig micro lathe has a tool holder on an X-Y carriage.  It accepts tools ground from 1/4" square stock, but nothing else.  The carriage only moves forward-backward and left-right with little hand wheels.  There is no power feed and the carriage cannot be set to move at an angle.  To move the tool at an angle you have to manipulate both hand wheels simultaneously.  It is exactly like drawing with an Etch-A-Sketch toy.  

Here is a photo from the Taig web site.
http://www.taigtools.com/mlathe.html

I have better photos but cannot upload them right now.  Some Chinese guy is trying to steal my raingarden domain name and has hacked my domain registration account.  They tell me it will be straightened out in a few days.  Sometimes I can upload photos to the AT MyGallery but that won't cooperate right now either.  Anyway, it's a PhotoBucket moment for me because none of my photos are displaying in old posts.
-steve

Alto Mare

Cool little lathe Steve! I wouldn't think 1/4 horsepower would be good enough for turning stainless steel, but then again, anything is doable with you.
Thanks Steve!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brewcrafter

Steve, your talent never ceases to amaze, those handles are innovative, effective, and great looking to boot!

Benni3

Great job my friend and nice fish,,,,,, ;D

wailua boy

Quote from: oc1 on June 16, 2019, 08:47:34 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on June 16, 2019, 12:15:31 PM

Thanks Sal.  The little Taig micro lathe has a tool holder on an X-Y carriage.  It accepts tools ground from 1/4" square stock, but nothing else.  The carriage only moves forward-backward and left-right with little hand wheels.  There is no power feed and the carriage cannot be set to move at an angle.  To move the tool at an angle you have to manipulate both hand wheels simultaneously.  It is exactly like drawing with an Etch-A-Sketch toy.  

Here is a photo from the Taig web site.
http://www.taigtools.com/mlathe.html

I have better photos but cannot upload them right now.  Some Chinese guy is trying to steal my raingarden domain name and has hacked my domain registration account.  They tell me it will be straightened out in a few days.  Sometimes I can upload photos to the AT MyGallery but that won't cooperate right now either.  Anyway, it's a PhotoBucket moment for me because none of my photos are displaying in old posts.
-steve

Very nice work and nice omilu. I actually placed an order thru you years ago via raingarden from you years ago. What a small world!

oc1

Quote from: wailua boy on June 17, 2019, 04:05:23 AM
I actually placed an order thru you years ago via raingarden from you years ago. What a small world!
Yeah, small.  I probably still have a copy of your order.  It was good while it lasted but the fish farm biz is pau now.
-steve

oc1

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 17, 2019, 12:34:24 AM
I wouldn't think 1/4 horsepower would be good enough for turning stainless steel,
The trick seems to be shallow but definite cuts with a tool sharp. If the cut is too deep it will bog down.   If the tool gets dull it will start to scrape and work-harden the stainless.
-steve

oc1

Last one and then I'm done.

The blade is a piece of 1/16" stainless plate.

The blade was drilled and tapped for 4-40 screw.  This is primarily just to hold the screws in place while they are soldered to the blade.

A piece of stainless tubing was used for the long side knob and a piece of 1/2" brass rod for the short side knob.  Both knobs were attached to the blade with a 4-40 stainless machine screw leaving a few thousandths lateral play to keep it from binding.

The protruding end of the screw on the back side was silver soldered to the blade and then ground flush.

The static balance point leaves just enough room for the handle nut (handle screw in this case) making the short side of the handle as short as it can possibly be.

As short as possible was too extreme.  When cranking the short side of the handle you can feel a bit of resistance as it gets the spool moving.  It is like a little inertia hump to get over every time you start cranking.

This one was very quick and easy to make.  You could do it with only a Dremel and a small propane torch.  The obvious problem is that the knobs are rotating on the machine screw threads instead of a sleeve.  This will probably make the knobs wear out prematurely or cut grooves and bind.

-steve

Ron Jones

I'm liking this idea more and more. I'll have to start working on something.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"