Penn Mag 990 max drag?

Started by double_entendre, June 04, 2019, 03:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Hey Bob, let us know what you decide and report back on how it performs. I will be re-lining all my Mags here pretty soon.

John

Porthos

Hey Bob,

Didn't notice you were posting here too. Since my 970 is fished as a 50lb braid to 40lb top shot setup at 12lbs drag from top of spool, I would certainly consider doing the bigger 990 with 65lb braid to 50lb top shot with 15lbs drag from top of spool; could do 60lb top shots in a pinch with 18lbs drag from top of spool. I factor in an approximate 1-2lbs drag from the rod and guides under load to approach the 1/3-rule.

Wai (a.k.a, "Amadeus" on that other site)

SoCalAngler

Quote from: double_entendre on June 09, 2019, 04:38:46 PM
Guys, just want to say thanks for the information and the laughs.  :D  I once poked fun at a guy who used that "read it on the internet" line on me, telling him that I'd read that coots migrated by tunneling to Mexico. 

SoCalAngler, really appreciate your thoughts.  I was struggling with the 40-50 range and how best to not buy another reel.  For the moment, at least.  I have an as-yet-unbuilt GF850H that I had been thinking I'd put the Avet on.  (Also have a GF900L to build I was thinking the 229 would work on and a BT6460 for a Penn 6/0).

Thanks! 

Bob

Bob,

Your a stud. Fishing a 8.5' rod with a reel that's 6:1 with 40 lb test my hats off to you.