Old Penn Spinfishers

Started by Sscoville, June 06, 2019, 12:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sscoville

I have a few Spinfishers of this vintage. Are there any mods that will improve these to make them smoother and faster on the retrieve?  Modern spinners are just so smooth and fast in comparison.

Rivverrat

No faster gears available that I'm aware of for these reels. As far as smoother these reels are pretty smooth as they come. Have you serviced this reel ?  a good cleaning along with new  new grease & oil can accomplish a lot on these older reels... Jeff

Dominick

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 06, 2019, 12:28:46 AM
No faster gears available that I'm aware of for these reels. As far as smoother these reels are pretty smooth as they come. Have you serviced this reel ?  a good cleaning along with new  new grease & oil can accomplish a lot on these older reels... Jeff

Agree.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

George6308

After replacing the missing bail parts of your reel if it's a 710 you can replace both gears with a 712 set for a slightly faster retrieve. They fit right in, but the increase may not be worth the cost.

Midway Tommy

Give it a good work over, and maintain it, and your Z will still be cranking in baits and fish when your newer, modern, spinners have long since found the landfill.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nelz

Quote from: Sscoville on June 06, 2019, 12:12:26 AMI have a few Spinfishers of this vintage. Are there any mods that will improve these to make them smoother and faster on the retrieve?  Modern spinners are just so smooth and fast in comparison.

I have a 712 greenie from waay back. I've caught tons of fish on it including my first "big" one (33lb Striper). It now sits on display like a trophy from years past. Still works like new, nearly indestructible, but for fishing, I much prefer the newer reels, lighter, smoother, quieter, more drag, and I can close the bails manually. Still love my old greenie but not for fishing.

That said, I've heard of guys adding bearings and instant anti-reverse, but it's a heck of a project more suited for machining pros.

George6308

I still fish my Penn 712 bone stock, it serves me well. Who needs a multitude of ball bearings!