finally got a 259 long beach

Started by WDill, June 06, 2019, 10:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDill

Guys,

First post about a reel, started my collections when I found this site and acquired my new addiction for penn conventionals. This is the first unique reel in the collection and just wanted to get some input.

So I finally procured a 259. Not bad condition has the older style eccentric screw and no part numbers that I can see except for the spool. its a 29-250. have not opened it up yet.

So how do I date this one and should I leave it as is or narrow it to 501 size. Dont really want to ruin a historical piece. If its an old one I may just look for a Senator 1/0 since they are really duplicates except for the side plates.

Wish I were fishing

George6308

Too valuable to transform to a 501.

WDill

Your probably right. Really beautiful side plate.

I will post more pictures when I get time to service it. I can hear a fairly loud whine when spinning the spool. Something rubbing.
Wish I were fishing

1badf350

The 1950 catalog is the first one I see that mentions a metal spool option for the 259 Live Bait Caster.
The Surfmaster 250 first had a metal spool option in 1949-50 pat numbered 29-250
We know 1950 is generally considered the point at which parts are numbered. I suppose it could be possible it is a 1950 reel with a mix of numbered and unnumbered parts. Or I guess it could be a 40s reel, of which the original plastic spool broke later in its life  and was replaced with a newer, numbered metal spool.
IM far from an expert and if im  wrong I hope I will be corrected quickly.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

alantani

i've seen so few of these and they are something i never think of.  actually, my first thought was that it was a 3/0 senator!   nice reel!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

WDill

Thanks for the info 1badf350, once I get some drags ordered and take it apart  I will post more. Your probably right about the spool. It is in much better condition than the chrome rings, just doesn't match. It may be a replacement.

Alan didnt get a chance to thank you for the 112H you traded me so I will now. Its a really nice reel.

Bill
Wish I were fishing

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

WDill

Opened it up this morning couldn't wait for the drags to get here. Inside looks like it was never serviced. Dried up brown grease on all parts. Everything looks to be in great shape, with no corrosion anywhere except for rings and stand.

Will cleaning it with mineral spirits damage anything?

No indication of where the rubbing noise is coming from, probably the spool but no rub marks.
Wish I were fishing

WDill

Also, no part numbers anywhere except spool so I will assume this is 1950 or earlier.
Wish I were fishing

thorhammer

mineral spirits will be fine on the metalwork; Simple green or Dawn will work on the plates. after you get it degreased, try soaking the metals in 50/50 white vinegar and water over night. It will take off the verdigris / corrosion. rinse and have everything dry waiting on your drag stack. i really like these reels.

Donnyboat

Nice find Bill, sounds like real vintage, would be nice to get an original spool, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

WDill

Don, I agree. I will start looking for an original spool, I have seen several on fleabay. I assume it should be a plastic one. What would the proper color be for that vintage?
Wish I were fishing

Gfish

Mine came from "da bay" with the plastic spool. I replaced it with a 29M-250(metal spool) and did a buncha strength upgrades. Parts are numbered. She ain't too pretty nomore, but she's a great trolling reel. I think I got ridda the plastic spool, but I'll check when I get back home. Don't wait on me though, it'll be about 2.5 weeks. Only color I know of for plastic is black.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!