New Member from SF Bay Area

Started by jon_elc, June 07, 2019, 06:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on June 07, 2019, 07:43:11 PM
jon_elc!

Welcome to the site!!!

Let us know where in the SF Bay Area you are located,

I live in San Mateo, and get together often with Dominick to talk fishing stuff out in his garage.

If you enjoy wine, we enjoy a splash of the vine from time to time.

Wayne

Wayne does the talking and I do the listening.  ;D  Welcome aboard.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

theswimmer

Welcome Jon!
I grew up on the peninsula in the Woodside area .
Live in the Sierra's now but we have a great bunch of guys from the Bay area that all fish together.
Look forward to meeting you and wetting a line .
Best ,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Benni3

jon_elc

Thanks, everyone!  Sorry for the late reply; I've been busy trying to catch the last few dungeness crabs before the season closes.  FWIW, I make my own snares.

David Hall

Jon there's an unspoken rule here,  it goes like this.
Pictures or it never happened.
Show us your snares, it's cool to make your own gear.

CooldadE

Welcome ! From LA... "Lower Antioch" Ca. Gateway to the Delta...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

jon_elc

jon_elc

here's a couple of my earlier snares...  I initially learned how to make them from Fisherman's Life and ScorpionTube712 on youtube, but I've been sort of modifying the shape and size, and changing the way to make the snare loops every time I have to make a new one, which is every couple of trips..   1) rock crabs tend to destroy the hardware cloth.  and 2) you lose one now and again from abrasions in your braid.   

for example, after making the snare loops with the "U" in the line on both ends, I found that using the "ring" electrical connecter has a longer useful life (it slides the same after 3-4 days, compared to the "U" which seems to get more friction when rubbing "line-on-line" if you know what I mean).  but there are people using and selling both types, so maybe it's just based on the line I am using?

jon_elc

Oh you probably want to see some in action, too.

alantani

i made a bunch of those for my brother a couple of years ago.  he says they work pretty well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Those are pretty cool Jon.  And they get results too.

Fishy247

Nice! Those guys look pretty pissed!

Welcome from Santa Cruz!
Mike

Bill B

Cool beans...good to have you here....Bill, SoCal
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!