"Specials"

Started by Crow, June 07, 2019, 08:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I wonder if, someplace on the forum, there is a "thread" devoted to all the "specials"....Wahoo, Yellowtail, Grouper, ...whatever ? I see references to the "different" types, here, and there, in different threads, but , is there someplace that spells out just exactly what they are ? And if they can be built with standard Penn parts....or need "Newell" kits,or, custom machine work, to get the job done. ......Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

I doubt this will be inclusive, there are a BUNCH

Albacore Special: 99 width Jigmaster. A 500 Jigmaster, frame, bars and spool are required
Yellowfin Special: Wide Jigmaster, there are several of these of different widths. Need same as above
Tuna Special: Intermediate width 112H, as far as I know only offered by Newell, need Frame, bars and spool
Bluefin Special: Jigmaster width 112H, need same as above
Yellowtail Special: Longbeach width 113H
Marlin Special: Intermediate width 113H
Broadbill Special: Wider than a marlin special, I believe it is Jigmaster width
Wahoo Special: Wide 349H
Black Marlin special: Wide 114H

There are also Broader-Bill and Super Black-Marlin and others. Most of the Newell kits were not considered true "specials" unless they included high speed gears.
This is nowhere near exhaustive
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

This would be a good thread to add...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

Thanks for the info !  What I.m finding is, when I *decide* I need a reel with "X" gear ratio, and "Y" line capacity, or "Z" spool diameter ......somebody else has already crossed that *bridge*, so it makes no sense for me to ponder "re inventing the wheel", when it may be out there, but is "hidden" under one of those "special" names !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

This probably a stupid question, but is / was there ever a combination that gave a 113H, or 114H, the width of a 49 ? It would have to have been a Newell, or "shop made" spool, I suppose. Seems like it *might* have filled a niche......a bit beefier than a 501, and not as heavy, or "cumbersome " as a 349.

Keta

I have a 349 width 113H and 114H built from Tiburon kits.  The 114HN is heavier than a 349, the 113HN a bit liter. Randy had some Tib kits to make 501N reels built too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

The ultra narrow 113h is a T4N1 frame & spool kit from Tiburon. The 114h ultra narrow version from Tiburon is as heavy or heavier then a 349. Both versions can be ordered from Randy of Vintage Offshore Tackle in the dealer section.      Rudy

Crow

Donnyboat

Randy is a good person to deal with, your impression that a 349 is a heavy reel, 349 has posts side by side, making it a very tough reel, the frame will not waup like the jigmasters, the next penn reel to have posts together like that is the 14/0, so the 349 is very solid, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 18, 2019, 12:07:21 AM
Randy is a good person to deal with, your impression that a 349 is a heavy reel, 349 has posts side by side, making it a very tough reel, the frame will not waup like the jigmasters, the next penn reel to have posts together like that is the 14/0, so the 349 is very solid, good luck, cheers Don.
You can't compare a jigmaster to a 349.The 349 is almost twice the size of a jigmaster. The 349 is in between the 113h & 114h in size & weight. Strength wise I'll go with the 113h & it's no contest against a 114h as gear strength & drags have it all over a 349. The 349 has it's place but not against the Special Senators. Parts are getting real hard to come by. Where are you getting rings, metal drag washers, dogs, plates, bridges, etc, etc.?  It's just a nostalga thing I guess.