Mitchell 510 Forked Foot Reel/Rod Combo

Started by The Fishing Hobby, June 07, 2019, 09:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

I got this combo a while back and just recently got around to cleaning the reel up. Here is a video about my personal thoughts about the reel in case anyone may be curious about them.

Gfish

Your videos are excellent! Creative and informative. Love the intro. Please keep 'em comming.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Gfish on June 07, 2019, 11:44:51 PM
Your videos are excellent! Creative and informative. Love the intro. Please keep 'em comming.
Oh thanks, I really appreciate that!

foakes

I used to want one of those when they first came out around 1973, I think (at least that is when I was looking at them).

This was before I started working on reels.

Even then I realized that if I broke the stem of the reel — both the rod and reel would be useless. 

Same if I broke the rod — the reel would be useless.

This was my excuse for not buying one — should have bought a dozen though.

Instead, bought a Mitchell 330 Otomatic — used that for 20 years, gave it to my brother-in-law — he still has it.  These have the finger touch bail releases for quick one hand casting.

Now I have dozens of 330's and 440's — still no 508 or 510, though.

Both the 508 & 510, are high speed blue reels, I believe.

Thanks for the great video!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

I have one of those 440's, very neat design and pretty useful idea really. I love the way these 510's mount, just not super crazy about the reel itself. I know I'd love using the 508 version because I like the 408's so much. Too bad they are so expensive to buy now!!!

festus

As usual, another great video review.  I tend to agree, would really like the 508 much better.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: festus on June 08, 2019, 02:17:52 AM
As usual, another great video review.  I tend to agree, would really like the 508 much better.
I would like to have one but they are really pricey!!!