Mitchell 510 Forked Foot Reel/Rod Combo

Started by The Fishing Hobby, June 07, 2019, 09:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

I got this combo a while back and just recently got around to cleaning the reel up. Here is a video about my personal thoughts about the reel in case anyone may be curious about them.

gumpie44

Glad to See The Write-up On The 510.... MY favorite REEL ! Have One I bought in 1972... Still in Great Shape, Wore Out An A/R Dog and Bail Bumper In All This Time.... Thanks Fred.... All other parts original. Rod Has Held Up As Well. Have a couple of these reels now , most parts the same as 410 Model, rods not as durable as the reels, hard to find now. Liked The Balance Of The Reel and no reel seat on cold mornings. think it failed because of high cost, and fishermen like to swap rods and reels around.  Some People Fuss About The Noise A Mitchell 300 Makes, I  Think 5 straight cut alloy gears are going to make Noise......These Folks Were Watch Makers First,  I think of it as purring !!! Don't need to say anything about Durablity,  Millions in use after 30-60  years. I Guess We Have Our Favorites For Our Own Reasons. Best To All   FISH ON !!!!
                     Barry  ;)
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

Midway Tommy

Nice video Kevin. Keen idea but I think the lack of rod interchangeability probably led to their later lack of enthusiasm. In those days most people like the option of switching their favorite reel back and forth on various rods.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)