2052 and 2062 Spool with pipe cleaner

Started by dpabrams, May 24, 2019, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpabrams

I'm new to the forum and have just started refurbishing some old Shakespeare's. On the 2052 and 2062 spool there is a place along the circumference of the spool to fit a pipe cleaner, presumably to help keep the line from coiling around the shaft behind the spool as happens occasionally with line twist.

Anyone done this? I tried with a pipe cleaner but it bound so I assume I need a smaller diameter pipe cleaner. Is it even all that necessary?

Thanks,

Pete

Gfish

According to Midway Tommy in another thread, the best size pipe cleaner for replacement on spools is the 3mm size. 4+ might be too thick and most that are avalible are 6mm. I've got a Royal Maroon 2062---great reel, simple and well built.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

dpabrams

festus

Welcome to the best reel rebuilding site on the 'net, Pete.

The last couple days I just finished rebuilding 3 of the 2052, and none of them had the pipe cleaner.  I checked Hobby Lobby a while back and they only had 6mm.

Just  did a Google search and found them listed under "chenille stems 3mm." Amazon and Walmart, and I think Etsy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chenille-Stems-3mm-12-Inch-25-Pkg-White/198318315

dpabrams

Ordered. I am thinking you just feed the pipe cleaner through, wrap around and twist the end inside the spool.

happyhooker

Welcome to the site, Pete, from Minnesota, USA.  Hope the weather is "fishable" in WY.

I've seen several spinning reels built like this, including the Heddon 222 and Berkley 426. The "pipe cleaner" is pretty narrow.  On these two reels, there are two tiny holes next to each other in the groove on the edge of the spool; you put one end of the pipe cleaner in one of the holes, wrap the pipe cleaner around the groove and away from the holes, then put the other end of the pipe cleaner in the second hole.  Be sure you use true pipe cleaners; I tried tinsel-like items and the scraping when you reeled sounded like sandpaper.  A buck for a big bag at Dollar Tree; not sure what size they were, but the extras are handy if you tie flies.

Frank

Midway Tommy

The ends don't need to be tied. Just bend them over tight inside the spool lip. Insert one end and crimp it over. Then make sure you pull the stem as tight as you can before crimping the other end. Even 3mm will be snug for a little while but it will eventually mat down.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)