Reruns for a bit

Started by gstours, June 08, 2019, 02:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

It seem like my Go Pro Editing site has decided to close operations just recently.  No more editing till i learn a new place. 
       So heres a short clip of a fun day we had halibut fishing a while back.  Its a repeat butt still good footage.
Any suggestions to which editing program others out there use you might reccommend to be similar or otherwise easy to use would be appreciated.   Anyway,   i,m going fishing. ;)

David Hall

I hate it when THEY decide its time for me to learn new software programs.  I never got the old one figured out!

Butt it sure is nice to watch you and yer butties checking up on the health of the livestock.
thanks again Gary.

jurelometer

Hey Gary,

I mostly do video editing for  personal design use, so my editing needs are probably a bit different than yours, but here are some basic things to work through:

Most importantly:

1.   What OS are you running and what major version?  The answer will help to select the best program  for running on your PC.

2.   What kind of hardware are you running?  Mainly CPU, memory and graphics processor.    This helps a bit in selecting the program,  but  also will help you decide if you would rather use a service to avoid getting a newer PC with better graphics in order to run the editing program directly on your PC.

More details:
-----------

My personal bias leans toward  downloading a program and editing  videos on your  PC and not to use a cloud/web based editing service as long as your PC and graphics card/processor are not too antiquated.   Web based services, especially free/cheap ones that require lots of storage don't seem to have a long lifespan.  When a service goes kaput,   you need to get your content out, and learn a new interface.  Plus if there is private content that you want to edit,  trusting the privacy and security of a service provider is a risk.

If you want to pay about $100 USD,  you can buy into the low end of commercial editing software with the option to upgrade to the fancy stuff if you ever want to start your own TV show :)

There are also some free choices out there.   I usually start with open source software for editing and design programs,  but haven't tried any open source video editors yet.

Many of the programs will run on multiple OS platforms, but the best choice for free or purchased software will change based on the OS and level.  It also makes sense to check that your hardware/OS is at the recommended level (the minimum level sometimes does not work as well) in the program documentation.

If you record a lot of video,  you might need to get some extra storage.  You may also need to consider backups if you don't want to lose anything.   Solid state storage can really speed things up.

If you don't want to deal with getting the hardware horsepower, storage and backup capabilities that you will need (if you are not OK with what you are currently running), a web based editor might handle all this for you for as long as it is in their business interest, at whatever reliability and security levels  that works for  their bottom line.   

No free lunch.

And there is nothing wrong with a choice that keeps it simple but takes some risks, as long as you know what you are trading off.

-J

gstours

Thanks for sharing your information,
  Jurelometer , pal I have windows 10, currently the go pro editing is no more.  It wasn't very good and was problematic on I assumed their site.  I,m not very good with computer stuff and worse yet with my patience level fluctuations.🤦‍♀️
   I'm looking for something like what I had been using.  It's not just paying some money,  I,m looking at several editing sites and they're waay too complicated it seems.   Thanks for any more ℹ️ information.
   It feels like I've been put out to pasture finally!😫

jurelometer

Hey Gary,

You just need to learn the tricks for learning software.  Remember that the kid that can crank out fancy videos is probably not capable of operating a crescent wrench.   So it is not rocket-surgery,  just something different.

Bear with me for a second here.  There is a trick to learning how to use software.  In the majority of cases, you need to copy  the thought process of the developer.  Sort of like watching a master cabinetmaker using his system to build cabinets before you  get started in his shop.    Running a program that somebody else wrote is like working in somebody else's shop.   You just gotta do it his/her way.  

So the first step is to get some recommendations and look for "tutorial" videos.   The "getting started" ones.  Look for a program  where the thought process/workflow is one that you can follow and that  the workspace is well organized and consistent.  sort of like a well run shop.

Next,  download the software and use it as close as possible to the example.  In this case, make a simple demo video with the same number of clips and edits as the tutorial.   If this works, branch out a bit and get to work!  If it is a giant pain in the a**,  try a different program.   If you get stuck on a particular operation, do a web search on your problem, for example "how to crop in Microsoft moviemaker".  

You should find one that works for you pretty quickly.   If nothing works right,  find a kid in the neighborhood that can edit videos (that is just about any of them) for a quick lesson,  and teach them how to use a crescent wrench in return :)

I will post some programs to consider next.  I'm thinking that if you change the title of the thread to include "video editor recommendations wanted" you might get replies from folks outside of your fan base :)

-J

jurelometer

Okay,  so windows 10 means that you have a reasonably recent computer, and that you are keeping it up to date (whether you want to or not- good 'ol Microsoft).   As long as you are not using the newer high resolution video (4K),  the hardware you have should probably work.  4k could  even work if your computer hardware and storage are not on the low end.

So some options:

1.  Microsoft Photo ( comes with Windows 10).  

Windows 7 had a pretty good free video editor (MovieMaker).   So Microsoft went to work and came up with a less capable replacement video editor bundled into the Windows 10 Photo program.    The goal appeared to be making it super easy to use, but there are a lot of complaints that it is too rudimentary.  This could be a dead end if it does not do enough for you.

2.  Open Source software (Always free).  Open source means that the program source code itself is available for anybody.    So you are not reliant on a company to decide to continue supporting  it.  If a  developer starts screwing up or moves on from a popular open source program, somebody else usually picks it up.   Open source programs can be a bit rough around the edges in terms of documentation and ease-of-use, but this is not always the case.   The Internet, this website, the server that this website runs on, and even your mobile phone runs on open source code.   Nothing to be afraid of, despite what commercial software makers will tell you.

A.  Shotcut:  Good reputation  regarding  ease of use and lots of features  -getting started tutorial on web site:http://www.shotcut.org

B.  Openshot:  in the same league for ease of use and features as Shotcut.    Probably just depends on which you like better http://www.openshot.org

C. Blender:   This is a sort of a combination of a CAD design program and a video editor.   Very complicated and very powerful.   If you want to sculpt up a flying flame breathing halibut animation to spice up your videos, then Blender is your baby.   But it is not quick to learn (I spent a couple hours and didn't even start to get the hang of it).

D.  Assorted simple editors:  there are several simple editors out there focused on ease of use, but they seem to mostly be about tacking together a set of shots.   If you want to go this simple, you might as well just use the bundled editor in Microsoft Photo.

3.  Commercial software (starting around $80 USD  for something worth buying).   I'm not sure that there is much of a point using any of the cheap stuff, other than the stripped down version of the high end programs.  This might make sense if you eventually want to move into professional videos. You just pay them more money, and you get more features without having to start from scratch.   I have zero experience with this category, so take this as a jumping off point, and not advice.

A.  Adobe Premiere Elements:  This is the low end of the Adobe product.   Adobe is starting to get a reputation  of being a bit long in the tooth,  but still a big player.

B.  Lightworks: another fancy program used by the pros.   There is a free stripped down version, but according to one review, the edited videos cannot be saved directly with the free version, only downloaded to YouTube or Vimeo.  

Good luck!

-J

gstours

I'm trying to explore the video options butt currently have very little time to do much.
    Thanks for sharing your help.   It's going to happen,
Here's a picture of the recent trip and some raw footage is archived.   Wish you were there.🎣