Pflueger Rocket Drag Upgrades

Started by djh, June 08, 2019, 02:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djh

I use almost all vintage Pflueger reels on my Lake Tahoe CA trolling boat. I've settled on the Pflueger Rocket reels for my downrigger setups. Summer fishing for Lake Trout usually means downrigging at 200+ feet depths and since I'm out about 50 times per year, the reels get a good workout. I'm continually impressed by how well these 60+ year-old reels perform. I often wonder what a solid brass, chrome-plated modern equivalent would cost. One feature however, has definitely improved over time - the drag washer materials. The original washers were made from Bakelite. By the time they've been around long enough to make it to my boat, those old washers have been worn smooth, so a modern upgrade is definitely in order. Based upon size information posted here by Alan T. (Thanks Alan), I've found an HT100/Carbontex equivalent for the Rockets. The Penn 6-155 washer, used in the Beachmasters (and others..) is an almost exact replacement for the Rocket originals. The reel uses only two washers: one inside the main gear cavity and the other on the outside. The new washers are an exact fit for the gear post, but the outer diameter is just a smidge too big for the main drive gear cavity. Reducing the outer diameter a couple tenths of a millimeter or so using a few swipes on 200 grit sandpaper and it drops right in. The outside washer requires no adjustment. I coat the washers with a liberal coat of Shimano Drag Grease as well. The upgrade results in a dramatic improvement in drag performance.

So, you may want to consider taking those old Rockets down off the shelf and putting them back to work.

foakes

Good information, djh —

What type of downriggers do you prefer?

How large are these Lakers?  Are they also called Mackinaw's?

Welcome to the site!

Look forward to some pictures of your trips, gear, and catches.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Thanks for the info !! I have several of the "Rocket" series....and *most* need some "attention" ::)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

djh

Quote from: foakes on June 08, 2019, 03:39:04 PM
Good information, djh —

What type of downriggers do you prefer?

I use the Scotty downriggers with 400' of wire and 10# weights. After 15 years of use, I've never had a single problem with either of them.

How large are these Lakers?  Are they also called Mackinaw's?

In a warmer environment, the Lakers (or Mackinaw's as they are known) can grow to 50# or more. In Tahoe, the record is 34#, but the usual "bigger" catch is 4-8#, with one's over 10# less frequent. My personal best is 17#.

Welcome to the site!

Look forward to some pictures of your trips, gear, and catches.

Best,

Fred