What reel ?

Started by Captain64-200, June 08, 2019, 06:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain64-200

I often fish from my boat with a shimano Cardiff 201 , 12lbs braid  with metal jigs ,madaï  1 to 3.5 Oz  . As I need
a faster retrieve (40") , I plan to buy a Daiwa Lexa HD  or a shimano Tranx 301 ...but these are very "modern " reels and I doubt about their longevity .

Do you have a suggestion  about a "old school" model that will suit my needs ? I don't know much about baitcasting / jigging old models .   

Thank you .
Fred from Biarritz ,

George6308

You might try a Penn 500 Jigmaster.

Swami805

40" from a reel the size of a cardiff could be a tall order if you're looking for something older that size. Heard good things about the reels you mentioned,they should hold up ok if you take care of them. Getting parts may be an issue 10- 20 years for now if the current trends continue.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

It is a modern reel but put the Okuma Komodo on the list with the other two low profile reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

the biggest Komodo (38", SS gears) looks good
even better if it's made in Taiwan(?)
but I don't see it in L/H

Captain64-200

Quote from: George6308 on June 08, 2019, 07:49:55 PM
You might try a Penn 500 Jigmaster.
What's the ratio of the jigmaster ? is'nt it too heavy ?

Quote from: Swami805 on June 08, 2019, 08:03:58 PM
40" from a reel the size of a cardiff could be a tall order if you're looking for something older that size. Heard good things about the reels you mentioned,they should hold up ok if you take care of them. Getting parts may be an issue 10- 20 years for now if the current trends continue.
Can be bigger than a Cardiff , but the rods I use are very light  ,the reel must not exceede 13/14 oz max

Quote from: Keta on June 08, 2019, 08:26:03 PM
It is a modern reel but put the Okuma Komodo on the list with the other two low profile reels.
Quote from: philaroman on June 08, 2019, 08:39:35 PM

I'll check this one ,thanks to you all for the answers ..
Fred from Biarritz ,

George6308

500 too heavy for your use.

Keta

Quote from: philaroman on June 08, 2019, 08:39:35 PM

Mine is LH.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

is it as good, as it looks on paper?

is it Chinese or Taiwanese?

I think I'd be thrilled w/ KDS-463PLX

...but the Capt. wants 40" retrieve ballpark & I didn't see the "LX" option for KDS-471P

Keta

So far I have not been able to use it on a mid to large fish but it casts well.  Not sure where it was made, does Okuma build in the PRC?

Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Most of the Okuma reels that I have had were made in Taiwan - not really alot of difference to mainland PRC :-\

Keta

The quality of Taiwanese goods is more consistent than those made in the PRC.

Mark Twain

philaroman

their best-of-the-best is definitely homemade; budget is definitely PRC; not sure about middle

like the reel specs. either way, but "Made in Taiwan" would bump the value:price, in my mind

natch!

I have a Komodo 363 with a made in Korea sticker. It gets no where near 40" of retrieve, although the 7:1 471 model is listed at 37.7" and 15.9 ounces.
I also have an Okuma Tesoro 5S, made in Taiwan, 11.2 ounces, 39" retrieve. It's a well made reel for sure but does not have a level-wind feature.

Jack

Captain64-200

Quote from: natch! on June 09, 2019, 03:31:29 PM
I have a Komodo 363 with a made in Korea sticker. It gets no where near 40" of retrieve, although the 7:1 471 model is listed at 37.7" and 15.9 ounces.
I also have an Okuma Tesoro 5S, made in Taiwan, 11.2 ounces, 39" retrieve. It's a well made reel for sure but does not have a level-wind feature.

Jack

The Tesoro 5S  is 16.8 oz (470 grams)  according to https://www.okumafishing.com/en/product/Tesoro-Star-Drag-Reel/tesoro-star-drag-reel.html  or is yours a different model ?

Fred from Biarritz ,