Heddon 281

Started by festus, June 09, 2019, 12:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This is the cleanest and smoothest Heddon I've found as it arrived.  Clean on the outside, really, it was ready to be fished, just needed line.  Might have been Heddon's attempt to compete with the Penn 714.

No schematic to be found, but once opened, there is the familiar oscillation loop.

The main gear was full of soft brown grease that hadn't petrified.  Not sure if this is the original grease, whatever it is, time for a change.

Very clean underneath all the gears.  Yes, that's one of those anti-reverses that engages in front of the pinion gear. The a/r assembly is clean enough to leave as is and doesn't need disassembled.

A 12 mm nut with regular threads connects the rotor to the pinion.

Underside of the rotor is a little dirty.  The bail trip and bail spring assemblies are clean and also left as is.

The bearing sure needs cleaning and re-lubed, a familiar snap ring is holding it in.

Not sure what type of metal the pinion is made from.

The drag stack consists of some type of resistex and maybe a fiber?

Didn't take much effort to clean these parts.

Super Lube is great for these smaller reels.

Rotor is back in place.

This is one of the easiest reels I've ever serviced.

As Kevin (The Fishing Hobby) mentioned in the video about his Heddon, this one also has no support on the non-handle side for the main gear.  Would be much better with a bearing or bushing.  In the 1971 Heddon ad, the 281 is listed as one of their top of the line reels.  That ad is a little deceiving.  at 9.6 oz, I wouldn't consider this an ultralight.  And the ad also mentions the spool holds 100 yds of 6 lb. mono.  Wrong again, it holds much more than that.  Perfect little reel for panfish, river trout, and smallmouth, 6 or 8 lb mono.  Definitely not built for going after big Florida largemouth or Tennessee cats and stripers. 

happyhooker

Nice report, as is the case with all of your reviews.  Thanks!

Frank

mo65

Quote from: festus on June 09, 2019, 12:37:39 AM
As Kevin (The Fishing Hobby) mentioned in the video about his Heddon, this one also has no support on the non-handle side for the main gear.  Would be much better with a bearing or bushing. 

My 282 is the same also...ball bearing on one side...absolutely nothing on the other! Looking at it the way it works, most of the gear's load is distributed to the side that has the ball bearing. It's not a centered main like you see in a worm drive where the load is also centered, I'm guessing that is their take on it. Great review Chester.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Nice looking reel Chester! as Mike your pics are always sharp.
One thing though, wouldn't really compare it to the 714, but it is a nice looking reel.

Thanks for all your work on these old jewels, while we enjoy watching.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Nice work Chester, thanks for the tutorial and the photos, nice and clear, nice find should last for many years n catch plenty of feeds, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

I finally scored a 281...sheesh...was about to give up on it. I'd like to make a correction on something we mentioned earlier. I stated that the drive gear was only supported by a bearing on one side...not true...with the paint scraped back in the first photo you can see the brass sleeve bearing in the frame. The second pic shows how the oscillation loop has a bent pin. This is the second one I've found like this...must have been a weak spot. The last two shots are the whole series, 284, 283, 282, and the little 281. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Good for you, Mike! It's always nice to complete a set!  :) I did that yesterday. Been watching for an Old Pal Cheeta 500 to fill out my Italian Old Pals for about 6 or 8 years. I've only seen 3 and they were more than I was willing to spend. I finally finished the group out yesterday.   :o Looking forward to getting it & cleaning it up. ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)