Garcia Mitchell 604.... France

Started by cdaline, June 09, 2019, 07:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cdaline

Found at swap meet ..$10...couldn't say no  8) Made in France.
Pretty high on the very cool scale.

Charles

foakes

Nice find, Charles —

I did edit your photos to remove the personal ones below the reel pictures.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

akfish

Squidder drag washers -- 006 060, or the Smooth Drag equivalent -- are a direct replacement, and improve this reel significantly.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Captain64-200

Ooo h that's a nice find ! I've never saw one like this in France ...
Fred from Biarritz ,

cdaline

Thank you Fred for the edit.... was unaware other photos were included. I'll review my
IMGUR settings.

Great recommendations AKFISH ...I'll make the switch on disassemble and cleaning. Any
other tips are appreciated.

CAPTAIN64 don't know the backstory on this Garcia Mitchell...maybe it was marketed to
the American market ? I owned one many years ago and thought it was a good quality reel.
I'll see if I can find a little bit more about this reels model history .

Charles

oc1

Don't tighten down the cast control knob or it will blow out the side plate.
-steve

Donnyboat

yes correct Steve, the 604 and the 624 models with the cream plates, do crack near the bearings if you have to much tenction on them, so leave a little movement side by side on the spool.  good to have you with us Charles, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

By the way I am after a spool if anyone has one to sell thanks Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Captain64-200

Quote from: cdaline on June 09, 2019, 10:42:22 PM
CAPTAIN64 don't know the backstory on this Garcia Mitchell...maybe it was marketed to
the American market ? I owned one many years ago and thought it was a good quality reel.
I'll see if I can find a little bit more about this reels model history .

Charles

Thanks Charles , it's very interesting ,production according to the Mitchell Museum  : Mitchell 604 (MULTIPLIER)      1964 - 1974   34,523   

_Mitchell 604 (MULTIPLIER)      1984 - 1985   1,821
Fred from Biarritz ,

cdaline

Thanks to all for sharing the info on this reel. I will do my best to avoid
cracking the Delrin side plates. If anyone has a link to where I could order
the appropriate size drag washer replacements it would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Charles

foakes

Quote from: cdaline on June 12, 2019, 03:39:37 AM
Thanks to all for sharing the info on this reel. I will do my best to avoid
cracking the Delrin side plates. If anyone has a link to where I could order
the appropriate size drag washer replacements it would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Charles

Hi Charles —

Bill (akfish) suggested Smooth Drag or the Penn equivalent from Mystic Parts.

Both are on this Site as solid parts suppliers.

I would also suggest greasing the drag washers you buy with Cal's Drag Grease.  The drag system will be smooth as butter through all settings from lightest to full lockdown — and likely outlast the reel, you, and me.

The referenced part number from Penn — for this size drag washer for your Mitchell, is 6-60.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cdaline

Thank you Fred.... I'll get on it ! Looking forward to getting this reel dialed in.

Thanks again.

Charles

swill88

kevin cozens

Quote from: Captain64-200 on June 09, 2019, 10:27:53 PMOoo h that's a nice find ! I've never saw one like this in France ...
IM IN THE UK AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN A 604 OR A 620. ONLY SEEN THEM FOR SALE IN THE USA

UKChris1

The Mitchell reels are pretty much as common as seagulls in the UK; ebay lists dozens, ranging from brand new to really awful! They were the first choice for many back in the day as they were cheaper than the equivalent Penn at UK prices and proved to be reliable and tough.

There were several models:
The biggest was the 624 (about a 3/0 size) and then a narrow version, the 622. These had double chrome rings.

There were a couple of smaller ones too, intended for beachcasting - with plastic spools - and chromed brass spools for light boat fishing. These were the 600 and the narrower 602.

In most cases, there were variants that had only inner chromed rings though I'm not sure of the numbers.

I have one 624 over 50 years of age that has caught a lot of fish, a 622 that is of unknown age but is my baitcatching reel, and a 602AP that has been pensioned off and unused for probably 45 years after yet another plastic spool cracked!

There were several weaknesses: most if not all eventually developed cracks in the sideplate, even if the bearing was not over-tightened; the drags were awful when wet (and try keeping a reel dry in use); and the fibre-glass reinforced unbreakable plastic casting spools almost always broke sooner or later.

But, many, many of these reels have been used by charter fleets and survived tough lives with minimal maintenance; those white sideplates usually turned brown from grease stains or, in my case, pale green from the dye used in Milwards Searanger line! They are still very much in evidence on boats but I don't know if they are still made.

I'm glad to hear Squidder drag washers will fit as that will improve things a lot. I'll do a trial run.