Penn VSW Reels

Started by handi2, June 10, 2019, 05:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Hey guy's,

Doesn't all the VSW reels have a spool sleeve?

I'm working on a bunch of them and one doesn't have the sleeve. It does have a split ring clip on the pinion gear's shaft like the TLD reels. I'm have trouble with this one.

When I spin the spool it noisy as heck. As I increase the preset it goes away but the drag setting is way to high for trolling.

Any help is appreciated.

All the best,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

All other functions of the reel work as they should. When in freespool I can't move the handle in or out. When in gear I can move the in and out 1/8 or more??

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Penn

Keith,

What's the date code?  If the reel is a 2000-2003 (approx.) they used a different spool setup and no spool sleeve.  

tony

handi2

Thank you Tony.

Keith

After doing so many VSW reels from 12 to 80W all of them had a spool sleeve. The problem I'm having is freespool. Its a spacing issue. The spool makes a terrible racket in freespool. I have to turn the preset to a non usable drag (too high) to get the spool to stop making any noise.

Its a push drag system.

Any help is appreciated,

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

This is above my pay grade.  Hey AT members Keith doesn't usually get stumped.  Some help is needed from the Penn experts on board.  8 days without a response.  Bump.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

What model (size/year) reel is giving you trouble?

Is the noise coming from the spool (ratchet plate) contacting the high speed main gear?

Sounds like you need to push the spool further left, and the spool shaft/pinions further right.  A taller belleville stack will acomplish both, a shim above the pinion bearing will move everything to the left.  You may need a combination of the two. 

The bellevilles ride on top of the pinion and need to clear the low speed main gear as well.  The 70vs uses 2 light (18-80), & 2 heavy (18-80W).  The 80VSX uses 4 heavy at ()().

Also, there are usually 2 shims to the left of the left spool bearing.

Make sure the shift button tines are nit bent.. common problem with shifting due to not using the wrench correctly. 

Also, if there is any play in drive shaft shim under the main gears to eleminate.

Good luck!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

thanks John.  I knew you would come through.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn

Keith,

Tight lines is on the right track.  Grab the click from the outside and pull up as far as you can and give the spool a spin.  Does the noise still occur?  Trying to eliminate one of the potential causes of the click tongue hitting the ratchet. 

tony

handi2

One shim on the right side pinion bearing did the trick. The shim matches the bearings inner race and the pinion gear.

Now the reel has 17lbs at strike with the preset backed all the way down. I will try a thinner shim to make the drag less at strike and thick enough so nothing rubs.

Thanks guys. You're all the best.

Keith

I attest these problems to being backed up with reels and not paying attention. The last 2 weeks has been nothing but trolling reels.
Gulf Breeze, FL