Bearing Shrapnel in Gears, Not Just Penn Related.

Started by Keta, June 25, 2019, 01:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I just put together a real nice black early production Torque 25N star drag reel that was locked up when I got it, this reel is used for rod and reel commercial albacore fishing and gets well used.  I assumed the AR bearing was the problem and replaced it but when reassembling the reel I noticed a ball from the pinion bearing that fell apart was jammed into the main gear.  It took a punch and hammer to get the ball out and when I tested the reel there was a annoying tick in it, but it was smooth otherwise.  Mystic to the rescue and a new gear set in on the way.

And a big THANK YOU to Penn for helping me get the other issue resolved.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I've had this happen in many other reels. Luckily, the reels I serviced the bearings were not jammed in very tight and could get out with a dental pick. The bronze gears were very forgiving and the were quiet. The stainless steel gears were not and needed replacing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D