A question for the "handle makers"

Started by Crow, June 09, 2019, 04:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I've seen numerous posts with examples of "home made" knobs . And my question is: where are you getting the "shaft / pin assembly " that you are (I think) pressing your knob onto ? Shop-made? Or 'salvaged' from another handle ?  I'd like to make a couple,myself, but any info on the 'metal parts' of the knob would sure help.  Thanx !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

Get in touch with Sal. He has been building knobs with attaching parts & can tell you where to purchase the hardware. He uses screw together parts. Riviting takes special equipment.       Rudy

Alto Mare

Not an easy thing to get.
I'm not sure why those are not offered, but I did look for a while with no luck.
Here is how I've been doing mine:
I was able to purchase the inner shaft from a friend, he mentioned this was a one time deal

The shaft is pre drilled and tapped counter clockwise at the base and comes with its screw.
The top part of the shaft is drilled and tapped by be and the foot cut on both sides so it could be held with a 3/8 wrench during assembly.

The tube is a 3/8 - 316 SS, I get those on line for appro. $10 per foot.
Top of the tube gets drilled a little wider so the screw could set in, I use permanent loctite on those.
If you go off you'll know it, the bottom of the tube also gets eased a bit.
It is a lot of work but keep in mind I'm not a machinist.
It could be done and I'm sure there are many more variations.
No matter what you'll chose, you will need to take your time or it will all be wasted.

I asked a few machinists to make me some and got the same story... they were too busy.
I think I get it, it is a lot involved to make these and very little money to cover their time.

I have a  lathe I just purchased recently, eventually I will be making my own shafts, but most likely will be for personal use.

You do have an easier option, you could purchase a handle from mystic reel parts, you would pull the the knob that comes with it and replace it with your custom knob...also a delicate job, a little off when drilling and you'll know it.

Someone with the right equipment should be making and selling these, I know they would be sell.

good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 10, 2019, 10:54:29 AM
The shaft is pre drilled and tapped counter clockwise at the base and comes with its screw.
Sal, does that mean that a left-handed knob would be tapped clockwise?  Are left- and right-handed knobs not interchangeable?

Beautiful work.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on June 10, 2019, 06:57:18 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on June 10, 2019, 10:54:29 AM
Sal, does that mean that a left-handed knob would be tapped clockwise?  Are left- and right-handed knobs not interchangeable?

Beautiful work.
-steve
I don't think so Steve.
Honestly, Ive been using knobs that screw in clockwise for a while with no issues to report.
Counter clockwise is a nice touch though for right handed.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

What's the wall thickness, on the 3/8 OD tube, Sal ? And, I assume the end of the shaft has a "shoulder", that pushes into the hole on the handle arm.....so all the "screw" is doing, is holding the shaft , to the arm ?
   I thought I could utilize "sex bolts", for the shaft....and I guess I still could, IF I could afford them !! Over $7 for one in the length / size I would prefer!  So, I'm thinking stainless drill rod, drilled and tapped at both ends, same as you did !

Alto Mare

Quote from: Crow on June 10, 2019, 07:47:18 PM
  What's the wall thickness, on the 3/8 OD tube, Sal ? And, I assume the end of the shaft has a "shoulder", that pushes into the hole on the handle arm.....so all the "screw" is doing, is holding the shaft , to the arm ?
   I thought I could utilize "sex bolts", for the shaft....and I guess I still could, IF I could afford them !! Over $7 for one in the length / size I would prefer!  So, I'm thinking stainless drill rod, drilled and tapped at both ends, same as you did !

He may not be the same seller, I need to look it up, but these are similar:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TUBING-3-8-OD-X-049-WALL-316-STAINLESS-STEEL-SEAMLESS-TWO-FOOT-PIECE/202302038499
Sex bolts in 2" length are close to $20, if I remember correctly.
You could also use one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-316-SS-HEX-BOLTS-7-8-9-BY-6-LONG-60pcs-available/271142464656?hash=item3f2159ac90:g:92oAAOxyyjpRrIfZ
Just make sure you'll have at least 2" section with no threads.
You would need to sand down the head a little and drill and tap the top and bottom.
Really good bits is a must.

My shaft doesn't have a shoulder at the bottom, it sits on the arm.  it is  holding pretty good.

Sal