Newell S229 - Turning handle is harder the tighter the drag

Started by double_entendre, June 04, 2019, 01:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

double_entendre

I'm rebuilding my S229 after adding a 5-disc drag and ran into an issue. 

When I tighten the drag, it's hard to turn the handle.  How hard it is to turn it is directly related to how tight the drag is.  The drag star will also stick in place for a turn or two, with the effect of loosening the drag as the handle turns.  Eventually it hits an equilibrium and then go back to turning with the handle.

Thoughts on what I might have done wrong?  I don't see anything that jumps out at me when I tear it down and look at the schematic.

Thanks!

Bob

reel man

Is the star rubbing the side plate when tightened down? If so then you'll need to add another small washer on top of the brass drag spacer.

double_entendre

Quote from: reel man on June 04, 2019, 02:24:20 AM
Is the star rubbing the side plate when tightened down? If so then you'll need to add another small washer on top of the brass drag spacer.

Interesting question.  The spacer isn't proud of the side plate.  Should it be?  I would think it should be, but it's not.

This might be a fabulously ignorant question ("don't call me stupid"), but are the parts of the drag supposed to touch the side plate at all?  I sorta get how a star drag works, but not really.  Turning the star compresses the Belleville springs, which puts pressure on the carbon fiber and steel plates.  I'd think that other than incidental friction between the brass spacer and side plate, the drag shouldn't touch the plate at all no matter what. 

Right?

oc1

Your new drag stack must be a tad shorter than the old drag stack.  It's usually the other way around.
-steve

double_entendre

Quote from: oc1 on June 04, 2019, 07:58:55 AM
Your new drag stack must be a tad shorter than the old drag stack.  It's usually the other way around.
-steve

That would explain why the previous owner had a bunch of spring washers in the drag.

I have a spare belleville washer or two, so I'll drop one or two in and see what happens. 

Downside of buying used gear--you rarely know exactly what you'll get. 

Thanks!

double_entendre

Anyone happen to have a Newell 229-5?  Can you measure the drag spacer?  How long is it?  

I'm thinking that the spacer in my reel is the wrong size and that I might have to find one or make one.  

Thanks!

bluefish69

You don't need a new drag spacer. What you need is the spacer washers that go between the the Star & the drag spacer. They come in 2 thicknesses [thin & a little thicker] sometimes you need 2 pcs.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

double_entendre

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 07, 2019, 04:01:38 AM
You don't need a new drag spacer. What you need is the spacer washers that go between the the Star & the drag spacer. They come in 2 thicknesses [thin & a little thicker] sometimes you need 2 pcs.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.  Looks like I need a thicker (or second) drag lock washer (part 3-18). 

A quick google doesn't turn anything up, but I'd think I could substitute in a regular stainless steel washer, eh? 

Bob

Swami805

The ebay seller I mentioned in the drag washer post has some that should work, Always good to have a few spares too. The bearing spacers can be handy as well. Might find something at your local hardware store as well. I keep a few around, they come in handy.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bluefish69

I like the 3-18 washers because they are the same shape as the bridge sleeve. You will find them on Ebay. the same guy that has the screws & drag washers

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

double_entendre

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 09, 2019, 12:20:01 AM
I like the 3-18 washers because they are the same shape as the bridge sleeve. You will find them on Ebay. the same guy that has the screws & drag washers

Mike

Thanks, Mike.   I shot him an email.  I see that part for the 300 through 600 series, but not the 200.  Need some for my 300, too.

Bob

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

mrwilson99

Those 3-18 washers are a life saver, every reel has its own quirks and I would say most of my issues are resolved with 3-18 washers.
David

double_entendre

Quote from: mrwilson99 on June 10, 2019, 03:32:54 AM
Those 3-18 washers are a life saver, every reel has its own quirks and I would say most of my issues are resolved with 3-18 washers.

Bingo.  I have three functioning Newells now that I need to see what they can support with the new five stack drags.

Thanks a ton for your help.  Really appreciate it. 

Bob