alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Maxel Mybrid 20 alternative please?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
June 17, 2019, 08:55:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maxel Mybrid 20 alternative please?  (Read 85 times)
jjdbike

« on: June 11, 2019, 01:52:24 AM »

Hello everyone,

I have a Maxel 20 hybrid. Its spooled w about 325 yds of 30 lb Maxcuatro.

I have it matched up with a Black Hole Challenger bank 731M. The Black Hole Challenger Bank 731 has a trigger reel seat.

My intended use is Jigging for ground fish while on the drift along the Mid-Atlantic and New England coast. Target species include, in order, big deep fluke (summer flounder), haddock, cod, black sea bass. I’ll be using jigs between 4 & 8 oz, w/ sweet spot of 6oz.

I like the small, light feel of the Maxel. I also like the star drag. I especially love the idea of a thumb bar to release line to tend the bottom. I fear it may be a tad too light / small, especially if we get into larger fish.

Can anyone recommend a similar reel that may be a tad larger that is a good caster and is solid & dependable that would fit the bill?

Thanks in advance!

JD
hafnor

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 11:58:24 PM »

Hard to beat that maxel reel. I have the same... You could opt for te bigger size 25 maxel hybrid. gives you 20% extra line cap easy... drag wise the reel should suffice.
jjdbike

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 01:21:26 AM »

Hard to beat that maxel reel. I have the same... You could opt for te bigger size 25 maxel hybrid. gives you 20% extra line cap easy... drag wise the reel should suffice.
Good to hear.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: