Maxel Mybrid 20 alternative please?

Started by jjdbike, June 11, 2019, 09:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdbike

Hello everyone,

I have a Maxel 20 hybrid. Its spooled w about 325 yds of 30 lb Maxcuatro.

I have it matched up with a Black Hole Challenger bank 731M. The Black Hole Challenger Bank 731 has a trigger reel seat.

My intended use is Jigging for ground fish while on the drift along the Mid-Atlantic and New England coast. Target species include, in order, big deep fluke (summer flounder), haddock, cod, black sea bass. I'll be using jigs between 4 & 8 oz, w/ sweet spot of 6oz.

I like the small, light feel of the Maxel. I also like the star drag. I especially love the idea of a thumb bar to release line to tend the bottom. I fear it may be a tad too light / small, especially if we get into larger fish.

Can anyone recommend a similar reel that may be a tad larger that is a good caster and is solid & dependable that would fit the bill?

Thanks in advance!

JD

hafnor

Hard to beat that maxel reel. I have the same... You could opt for te bigger size 25 maxel hybrid. gives you 20% extra line cap easy... drag wise the reel should suffice.

jjdbike

Quote from: hafnor on June 13, 2019, 07:58:24 AM
Hard to beat that maxel reel. I have the same... You could opt for te bigger size 25 maxel hybrid. gives you 20% extra line cap easy... drag wise the reel should suffice.
Good to hear.
Thanks!