first trip of the season on my boat!

Started by alantani, June 11, 2019, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

took khanh, bob and kevin out for rockfish and lings yesterday.  we fished out of half moon bay, ran down to san gregorio, fished in 60 to 100 feet of waster. lots of big rockfish, cabs and ling cod, the blue ling that i caught was a hitchhiker. he grabbed a rockfish that i was bringing up and started heading to the bottom. i eased him up half way and he spit it out, so i dropped down immediately again. he grabbed a second time and let go when he was half way up, so i dropped down again. he grabbed it a third time, then leg go when i had him half way up, so i dropped down a FOURTH time!!!! this time, on the run down, the hook pulled out of the rockfish and caught the ling. i did not know at the time that he was actually hooked, so i eased him up slowly, ever so gingerly until he was up at the surface. khanh swung with the gaff and almost knocked him off, but the drag was backed way off so that the hook would not pull. i have to ease him up again, khanh stuck him this time and we had dinner!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Fantastic,
How's the one trip a month coming?
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

a little behind.  the hard part is that i took two full days to do a full systems check on everything.  it started with $400 worth of fuel.  had to go through the vehicle, the trailer, the boat itself, the rods and the pfd's.  it won't be so bad now. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

Wow, cool looking fish, and mighty aggressive too! Congrats!

David Hall

It's about time, I think your boat was beginning to feel neglected.

scrinch

Nice looking ling! A pity that you had to invite him aboard so many times.

Gfish

Love those lings. Great eatin, can be huge and they don't seem to have much of sense of danger. Looks like calm seas out there. I'll bet it was much cooler than on land. 102 in Fremont today.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

We have some blue lings in Puget sound. I've heard the blue color comes from the diet of mostly squid, but i can't confirm that. The cool part is the meat is also blue, but turns mostly white when cooked. Nice job on coaxing the hitchiker !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Caranx

That's an awesome colored cod!!!👍🏼👍🏼

Swami805

Nice trip! Those lings are some tough customers
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

That was one determined hitchhiker!  You earned a good dinner reeling him in 4 times!  Love the lings!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

conchydong

Nice catchin' Alan. Is the Blue Ling Cod the one that has the blue colored flesh? Does it taste different than the regular? Sometimes Swordfish have a orange colored flesh, they call them Pumpkins. I never noticed a flavor difference but some folks say they taste better.