Abu Garcia 5601AB

Started by Bill B, September 20, 2023, 02:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

So part of my dad's stash included this 5601AB in left hand retrieve. I will admit I know next to nothing about the Abu Garcia line of round baitcasters.  What is puzzling is the open hole on the non-handle side.  Also would this be considered in the class of the 5500 size reels?  Can someone give me a quick synopsis on this reel.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JasonGotaProblem

Mono mag or a clicker. Yes to the 5500 series. The 600 implies it has high speed gears. The 01 for lefty. Probably an ultracast spool. Thumb bar is the first thing to fail.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Bill B

Jason it does have 5.3:1 gearing. Guess that's high speed. The hole has a rubber grommet around the hole. Haven't opened it yet. But will soon.  Bill

redsetta

Hi Bill,
The hole leads to a recessed screw with which to adjust Abu's 'revolutionary anti-backlash system' - hence the AB suffix.
They released a video when it came out in the early 2000s, which detailed how and when to adjust it - here:

Hope that helps!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

oldmanjoe

Interesting reel with that back lash system .   Looks like Bill`s reel is missing the brake bar .  You can see the empty holes in the rim were it would mount in .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bill B

Thank you the video, very informative.  I'm wondering if dad bought it used without the cast control. None of the missing parts were in his stuff and no box.  He kept all the boxes for his reels.  Either way I'm will be using this reel even without the control.  Bill

DougK

Quote from: redsetta on September 20, 2023, 03:08:23 AMThe hole leads to a recessed screw with which to adjust Abu's 'revolutionary anti-backlash system' - hence the AB suffix.

thanks Justin, I have seen these reels and wondered about that odd little port..
looking at the hole tends to trigger my trypophobia, so have never actually wanted one of these Abus, which makes them unique ;-)